<>18<>

Kaitlin stepped into Sabrina's room. She was nervous. The police officers in the front told her Sabrina never requested anyone to come in, they all already did. However, she was the exception. She knew, because the psychic energy the air packed was dense. There was an unspoken tension at play.

"Sit," commanded Sabrina the moment Kaitlin came into the room.

She did as told, asking, "Why have you called me in here mistress Sabrina?"

Mentally, she chided herself. Asking without being addressed to was highly frowned upon in the gym. She sunk her head a little, ashamed of what she had just done.

"You have been my student for over a year now," said Sabrina. "Are you glad of that fact?"

Why was she asking that of all questions? Kaitlin thought Sabrina had called her in to talk about the case, however she was clearly mistaken.

"Yes ma'am," Kaitlin responded.

Sabrina pulled at her ear. "Do you feel as though I've been an adequate teacher?"

"Absolutely ma'am," she said.

"Would you wish to learn a new skill?" Sabrina asked.

Kaitlin wondered where her master was going with the discussion, but answered without hesitation. "Of course, mistress Sabrina. I am happy to receive any of your teachings."

"Do not answer me respectfully. I want to know your honest opinion," she said, motioning for Kaitlin to do so.

Kaitlin followed her master's orders. "I expected you to call me here on behalf of the case, not to ask me how I feel. I want to know what this skill you aim to teach me is."

"Very well put," Sabrina stated. "I called you here today to give you what you have always wanted. The ability to summon the spirit of your mother."

Kaitlin almost stopped breathing. After a year of working towards it, it was finally happening. She began to blink, almost not registering what her master said.

Tears streamed down her face. "Do you really mean it, ma'am?"

"Yes," Sabrina said, "you are ready. There is one condition you must fulfill, however."

"Anything, ma'am I will do anything," Kaitlin exclaimed, filled with hope and desperation.

Sabrina bowed her head. "You must do the same for Miles Edgeworth. Summon the spirit of Gregory Edgeworth, his father tomorrow after the trial."

Kaitlin was about to agree when a pain gripped her. Her insides trembled with a stabbing feeling that she had never experienced before. Sabrina was panting like she was dying. Kaitlin could tell she was holding in a scream.

"Does it-?" Kaitlin asked.

Sabrina nodded her head. "The pain speaks for itself. The question is how bad do you want this. Take it or leave it."

Kaitlin recalled everything that she stood for. What did she value? What had the past year been about.

As soon as she opened her mouth the pain paralyzed her.

"Yes, madam Sabrina. I accept."