Epilogue

Three Years Later...

Cars honked and chaos ensued out on the busy streets of San Francisco. Edgeworth sat, penning in the last few sentences of the book sitting in front of him. The in-town diner he had picked to eat at was packed, being a favorite amongst the locals. He sighed and picked at the soup in front of him. This day was a solemn one.

Despite the fact the doctors at the hospital he woke up at told him that everything which had happened was hallucination, it couldn't explain the single letter that kept tripping him up every time. A letter addressed to him from Sabrina. It even had blood speckled on it. But it made him question what was true, and what was false. In fact, that had been his failure of a quest for the last three years. He'd tried to find some evidence of what had happened but there was nothing. No Morty Goodman in the police databases or even the existence of Kanto and/or Johto in any type of atlas.

The bell of the door dinged, revealing the man Edgeworth had invited, Phoenix Wright. Edgeworth would have asked Wright if he remembered Sabrina or any of the case, but his memory was once stolen from him, and although he got it back Edgeworth could never fully trust it. The situation was too precarious to make assumptions about. In fact, Edgeworth tried his damndest to follow to the one clause of psychic law he knew by heart.

"Hey Edgeworth," Wright said, sitting down and warming his hands. It was chilly for an April.

Edgeworth smiled, despite how miserable he was feeling. "Glad you came Wright."

Despite what happened in Kanto, Edgeworth knew Wright was a good person. Kanto had been an exception because of Executive Proton and Sabrina, the two people he would never forget. He sighed and finished the last word of his book with a sharp flick of the pen. It hurt to think about, especially considering what lay under the last page.

"So it's been two months. How are you coping?" Edgeworth asked, referring to Wright's recent disbarment.

Wright bit his lip. "It's painful. The law at some point became my life."

"I understand," Edgeworth said. "It was the same with me. That first year after..."

"After what?" Phoenix asked.

Edgeworth said nothing, and only sipped the tea he had ordered.

Wright decided to continue, "You believe me when I say I didn't do it, right?"

"Of course I do," Edgeworth said, "but that isn't why I called you to come and see me today of all days."

"Today of all days?" He said.

Edgeworth shut him down immediately. "It doesn't matter. All I invited you for was some chicken soup and to tell you that while you may not have done it, you still need to walk the path of redemption."

"Redemption?" asked Wright. "What could you possibly mean by redemption?"

"I don't know Wright," he responded. "It's different for every person. Redemption is a subjective thing. Just as long as you bring peace to yourself. Like how she—"

Like how she died. But Edgeworth wouldn't say that to Wright. He would never understand.

Wright sent him a questioning look. "Are you okay Edgeworth?"

"Today is just a difficult day for me, that's all," he said.

Phoenix looked at him. "Something is wrong, though. Come on, you can tell me."

"It happened three years ago from this day," said Edgeworth. "I just need to get over it. There's nothing you can do to help me in that besides listen to my advice."