<> 43 <>

December 1st, 2:45 pm
Ecruteak City

Edgeworth gazed upon the old city in awe. The tall, traditional asian style architecture lined all the buildings which were made of a soft toned wood, most likely from ceder. Out in the buildings stood a pair of twin towers. One was burnt and the other stood strong. Not many people were about, and the town was relatively silent compared to streets of Goldenrod. His breaths came out slow. The long walk had exhausted him. He was relatively out of air. However, there were things to do. He had come to investigate Morty and his likeness.

Stepping into town, it did not take him long to know where to. Swan did not follow him, which was perhaps for the best. He was in for the kill now. He had to find the solution to the problem. This would not prove to be easy. However, if this was what Sabrina meant by the basics then it would be worth it. He had to find the file. It was the only way that he would survive with certainty. The journey would end eventually, either with his death or his triumph. There was no in-between. Do or die; that was his ultimatum and he did not plan to roll over and wait for the demise he knew was coming.

Morty's gym was perhaps the most daunting place he had ever seen, topping even an elevator. The inside was dark and filled with the volatile masses of smoke and fog. Candlelight came only from ones provided at the front entrance and staff who only held a sole candle. He didn't understand the need for such a secretive atmosphere. The path forward was clandestine enough. Twisted was the way onwards as he tried to find his way to some sort of stabilization. Not a person joined him as he bounded through the blizzard of darkness on to something, anything. It was ironic how he found himself alone once again, when he had tried to surround himself by what Morty's presence would be. The blind boondoggle of his efforts led him onward until he found a person who sat in complacency as he stumbled into more confusion.

"Welcome, Miles Edgeworth," the boy said. "We were expecting you."

Edgeworth gritted his teeth. "And how exactly did you know I was coming?"

"What other reason would you have to be in Johto?" the boy smirked. "So what exactly have you come into the abyss for, sir?"

"I want to know about Morty," he put it out straight.

The blonde shook his head. "I can't help, then. The only thing I can do is a summoning."

"I don't need to have a summoning..." Edgeworth said, immediately becoming uncomfortable.

The boy shook his head. "Everybody can learn a little bit about life by listening to the dead. They are quite knowledgeable, you know?"

Edgeworth began to move to leave. This made him uncomfortable. "I'm not sure this is worth my time, nor my money."

He winked and stood up. "Believe me, this is worth your time and money. If you don't believe me, I will at least give you your money back."

Edgeworth turned around, hesitant. He looked in the eyes of the stranger, seeing a burning smirk. He wondered for a second if this was a bribe of sorts. His hand twitched. He bit down on his jaw. Could this boy be trusted? What kind of a summoning would be requested? But he didn't have money. It was too late. He turned back.

"I'm sorry," he said. "I can't do it. I don't know what I was thinking."

The boy sighed. "But you wish to. So what's stopping you? All that is there is what you take with you."

He tensed and kept walking. There was nothing he could do. Heading back into the fog, he found himself lost again. The day was a bust. His true mission had been tainted from a lack of resources. He had to find a way to rise up again. There was no way he could find the file without Sabrina's help. She wouldn't give it to him, though. He was boxed in, and he had no idea how to find a way to bring order back. What could he do? He was running out of leads and he knew it would not be long before Proton made another move. They were supposed to be fighting, after all. That worried him. The longer he went without results, the more his window dwindled. He took a sharp, strained breath as he moved on, the air not quite completely filling his lungs.