<> 57 <>

"He's stable!" Shouted someone. "Put the defibrillator away! He's breathing and his heart's beating!"

Edgeworth didn't know what was going on. There was a kaleidoscope of voices, people shouting in German that sounded like English to him. Things crossed by his mind as his world was black. He could not open his eyes, but he heard things around him. People walking by and speaking of him. Until he finally did open his eyes.

He found himself in a European hospital, most likely German. As he sat up he knew immediately, because of the windows. IV fluid cascaded into his arm, making him cold. Monitors around him beeped as he took off the oxygen mask that was on his face. He sighed. He had no clue how he had gotten there, nor in the hospital gown. To be honest, it scared him. How did he get there? The last he knew of, he was at the funeral in Kanto.

Suddenly, a nurse burst into the room, "I heard you began to wake up just a few minutes ago. Can you tell me your name?"

It took him a few seconds of thinking, but he answered, "Miles Edgeworth."

"Good," the nurse said as a doctor came in, "can you tell me where we are?"

"I honestly don't know," he said. "I think we're in Germany, but I don't know which town."

"Nürnberg," the doctor answered.

Edgeworth scratched his head. "How did I get here?"

"A maid in your hotel found you half-dead having hung yourself. She called the hospital and you were here in a coma for about a month now," the doctor explained.

Edgeworth scratched his head. "What's the date?"

"12th April," said the nurse.

The heart rate monitor next to Edgeworth went up to the extremes. "But what about Kanto? What about the murder trial? How could I lose so much time?"

"What murder trial Mr. Edgeworth? You committed suicide the day you arrived here," said the doctor.

"Have you ever heard of Kanto? Johto? Team Rocket? All of the murders that happened there? Sabrina Isis?" Edgeworth asked, hoping to get any information.

The nurse and doctor began to whisper to each other as soon as he said that. There was head nodding on both sides while they spoke quietly. Edgeworth wondered if they thought he was crazy.

Suddenly the doctor said, "Mr. Edgeworth I'm afraid to inform you, that whatever you have experienced has been a hallucination of your coma. A type of the infamous flash of life before your eyes before death, sort of thing. I believe if you look back at everything that happened, you will find many parallels to your life."

He walked out and the nurse stayed, checking on all of the equipment.

"You don't think I'm crazy do you?" He asked the nurse.

She smiled and shook her head. "People have hallucinations before death all the time. It's one of the mind's psychological defenses."

"What did I have on me when I committed suicide?" Edgeworth asked, unsure.

She frowned. "Only your pink suit and letter within it."

"What do I do now?" He asked.

The nurse tapped the IV bag. "Well, I guess I would start over if I were you. I mean, you have the same light burn scars on your hands, bullet scar to the shoulder, and noose marks around your neck, but it doesn't mean they have to define you. I would pick something you're passionate about and go with that. But then again, that's me. Do what you think is best."

Edgeworth didn't know where to stand. He had cured himself of the ghosts of the past, yet he didn't know how to continue. He was a lawyer who lived to find the truth and pursue criminals. Starting over would be difficult, but at least he had the space to. And when he was ready, he would go back to his home.

For then though, a new age of the law within was coming.