<> 9 <>

November 5th, 4:45 pm
Julia and Kaitlin's Apartment

"And that wraps up the police details?" Kaitlin asked, staring at the now-filled cork bulletin board Edgeworth had bought to have a space to organize his thoughts on the case. She was slightly incredulous about the ordeal.

Julia nodded. "Surprisingly, there wasn't much evidence. The killer covered his or her tracks well. The important things like the can of spray paint and serrated knife were missing, but the bloody rag was still there."

That troubled Edgeworth. He remembered the last case where much evidence hadn't been present. It was that case which caused him to have used forged evidence in trial without even realizing it. He ignored the biting thoughts on his mind and pushed on.

"I still don't understand why it was there," Edgeworth said. "Detective Looker wouldn't say anything on it either, so I wonder if it's puzzling him as well."

Julia's eyebrows furrowed. "I agree. It's not like he was the one who made the assessment as to who killed Morty and why."

There was a pause. They all tried to think about it. However, the think tank wasn't working too well. Julia took a sip of the apple juice she was holding in her hand, Kaitlin stared at the window, and Edgeworth's eyes darted between the two of them as he too was out of ideas. Kaitlin took a sip out of her Hugo, a sweet white wine spritzer from Germany that Edgeworth had fixed her, and then set it down on the floor.

"Hmm," Kaitlin said, tapping her chin. "I wonder if it was to wipe up any blood. Have they done a luminol test yet, Julia?"

"No." She shook her head. "I'll file one with Detective Looker tomorrow. You're going to ask Sabrina and the witnesses about the night of the murder, Edgeworth?"

Edgeworth thought about what he wanted to do. Thinking about Sabrina's powers and the possibility that she could lie to him if she knew what the witnesses had said, he decided what course of action to take.

"Of course. I think it's best if I go to her first, so if the test happens in the morning feel free to call. What were the names of the witnesses again, Julia?" Edgeworth said.

Julia responded, "Marina Vales, Richard Marshall, Angel Swan—of course—and I'm not too sure of the hotel maid's name."

Edgeworth stood up, taking the stack of papers in his lap and setting them next to the bulletin board. It was time to leave for the evening. He had to make a stop before he went back to the hotel. Something he thought he heard Detective Looker mumbling to himself at the crime scene. Edgeworth knew it was important, because the detective had actually taken his time to physically invest himself wholly in it. Edgeworth knew that he had been watching him the entire time through his peripheral vision, as any proper Interpol detective would.

"Are you sure you don't want us to cook you dinner? It's the least we can do..." Kaitlin said.

Julia's pager chirped. "I'm afraid I can't. I've been called to the crime scene. Hand me an energy drink."

Edgeworth grabbed two from the fridge—one for Julia, and one for himself. He showed it to Kaitlin. "I think this will suffice as dinner. I have to go as well."

He felt rather unhealthy, but he knew at this point tea would not keep him awake. He was still slightly under the influence of jet lag, and so he knew that when he would begin researching, the reading would make him tired. Kaitlin nodded and the both of them were off. Edgeworth noted as he went down the stairs that the creaking sound bothered him less that time. Perhaps Julia had been quieter about it while leaving?