<> 40 <>

November 25th, 11:37 am
Saffron Central Hospital

He woke up wheezing. His lungs felt as if they had been trampled on, and his body as if it had been mauled by a tiger. The skin of his body was bruised to the point of unrecognition. He had been mutilated, and his shirt and wallet were nowhere to be seen. He panicked, trying to sit up, but his body hurt too much. From sheer pain, he couldn't even lift his back.

"I wouldn't do that if I were you."

He recognized her voice immediately.

"Swan?" He asked. "What are you doing here?"

"Your suit is safe. Your wallet however, not so much. It was gone when the hospital staff undressed you. Apparently they found a note. I read it. He took your wallet," Angel Swan said.

Edgeworth groaned. "Well that's just great."

"Don't worry," she said. "I've got your room and board set until you finish whatever damned skirmish this is all about."

"Can I sit up?" He asked. "I wish to thank you from a less awkward position."

"I wouldn't do that. The doctors said you were literally beat end within an inch of your life," she warned once again.

He laughed, closing his eyes from the monotonous white of the ceiling tiles. "Why are you helping me Swan? I accused you of a crime you didn't commit."

"I was an accomplice. There's no denying that. I have to thank you for picking up my hospital bill despite. I would have gone bankrupt and died if you didn't," she said.

Edgeworth responded. "I don't think you'll go die if you go bankrupt."

"I'm afraid getting a job in my condition is impossible. No one will take me, therefore I will starve," Swan stated. "I'm going to go try to notify Sabrina that you're awake. She wanted to see you."

As Swan left, Edgeworth heard the door click. The silence was agonizing as he laid, feeling the brutal pain of the dark marks on his body. He attempted to lift his head, succeeding for the smallest moment. None of his bones were broken, to his relief. However, the silence was shattered with the opening of the door.

"Mr. Edgeworth sir, you're awake!" Someone explained.

A belligerent wave of pain hit him. "Who is this?"

"Your nurse. Oh my! You've been taken off your painkillers...let me get you hooked up again," she said. "My, my, my you must be in so much pain. No worries, you'll be hooked up in no time. It will kick in like 30 minutes."

"Thank you so much..." Edgeworth said.

She sighed. "No problem, sir. I'm sorry for what I said the last time I met. Whoever beat you wanted you to die. I don't think that's right."

"Nurse? Is Wright still here?" He asked.

"No," she said. "They released him ages ago."

His heart rate monitor fluttered faster. Edgeworth feared for Wright's life. He was susceptible, vulnerable. In the shadow of Proton, anybody was at risk. There would be consequences to him leaving the hospital before Edgeworth woke up. If he could, he had to figure out how to protect those he cared about. The first step would to send Wright back to California, somehow. Edgeworth feared the lawyer couldn't leave because of the future trial after the police investigation. He feared that they would not be able to find another prosecutor.

"Are you alright, sir?" she asked.

Edgeworth felt a sanguine anger building within him. "Does it matter? The damage has been done. How long until I heal? I have a search to conduct."

"Not for a few days at the very least, sir. I'm afraid your body will have to take that amount of time to heal from all the beatings. We of course, need to observe you in that time," the nurse informed.

He sighed and laid back. She left, footsteps leaving the door to swing close. But it didn't. The eerie creak of it reopening did not escape him. A deep hesitant, breathing perforated the room.

"Proton, you bastard, I will rip you to fucking shreds. You're on. This is war," Edgeworth said.

The person who walked over to the bed was not him. "I don't think you have a choice. None of us have a chance."

"Wright?" Edgeworth asked.

He sighed. "I'm here only to deliver a message, but it appears as though you've received it."

"Don't go yet. I have something to say to you," Edgeworth said. "You need to go back to San Francisco. Get out of this war. You will become a casualty."

Wright stamped his foot. "There's no chance of it. Once you're in, you're always in."

"You're not on his side, are you?" Edgeworth asked.

Wright said, "I am. You know you're a bastard, Edgeworth. You will lose this fight. Just give him the file, for me."

"Have you been brainwashed or something Wright? I'm your friend, I should be the one telling you to leave," he retorted.

"Unfortunately," said Wright, his voice going distant, "that is not an option for me."

"You're going to die if you keep going!" Edgeworth shouted.

Wright chuckled. "No. You will."

That was when his footsteps wandered away, clicking down the hall.