<> 20 <>

November 9th, 5:05 pm
Julia and Kaitlin's apartment

The smell of good Italian cooking wafted through the room. Beeping, the oven was opened by Kaitlin who pulled out crisp baked chicken and set it on the counter next to spaghetti to cool.

"Dinner is served people!" Kaitlin called from the kitchen as she got out plates.

Julia tapped Edgeworth's shoulder. "Lighten up, seriously. If Swan is somehow an accomplice in the killing then it's better you don't stay in her hotel. She could do something to you while you sleep."

His face went blank. "She already drugged me one day, I'm sure of it. Why else would I have slept until 3?"

"Exactly," she said. "I know you have to sleep on the couch, but I think you'll have fun with us."

He went and grabbed a plate from Kaitlin. "Do you think she was the killer or the accomplice?"

"I'm not sure," said Kaitlin.

Julia responded instead. "I say you name her as the killer. Put some mental pressure on her."

He set his plate down on the table as he went to fix some wine in the kitchen. "That was the thought. If she's the killer then she'll know it's for real and then if she isn't, she won't want to be charged instead of the real one. Wine, Kaitlin?"

"No thank you," she responded. "I was quite exhausted enough in the courtroom today."

"What did Sabrina teach you?" he asked.

She slipped with the knife she was using to dice salad, cutting her finger. Licking the wound she went to the sink to wash it.

"You alright Kaitlin?" Julia asked.

She sighed. "I'm just very tired."

Edgeworth watched as she grunted, clenching her teeth through some sort of intense pain.

"You're sure you're alright?" He raised an eyebrow.

She smiled what he saw to be a fake one. "Absolutely fine."

A knock sounded on the door. He went and got it. A woman with blonde hair stood in front.

"Miles Edgeworth," she said, "just the person I wanted to see."

He stared back at Julia and Kaitlin. "I'll be right back."

Standing in the dark hallway with the door closed, he asked, "Who are you?"

"Don't you remember me from the other day? I'm Lotta Grace, the hotel maid," she introduced herself.

He frowned. "What are you doing here and how did you find me?"

"I followed you home," she said, matter of factly.

"Somehow I doubt it, but continue," said Edgeworth.

She sighed. "I came to apologize for the other day. I watched the trial and realized something when I watched the video. She may not have been the culprit and I'm sorry to have said she was to you."

"What does your apology matter to me? It's Sabrina who you insulted," he said, annoyed.

She nodded as if deciding something for herself. "After my testimony, come and find me. I know you are speaking to Swan tomorrow, but comes to me when it counts. I'll help you with what I know."

"Alright," he said. "Thank you. Good night Mrs. Grace."

"The same to you, Mr. Edgeworth," she finished, disappearing down the stairs.

He stared after her, wondering what in the world that was about. After that, he went on with dinner with Julia and Kaitlin. He rather liked Italian food, making his night a nice one. Until the end of dinner, that was.

Checking her watch, Kaitlin's eyes widened. "It's almost 8:00..."

Julia had gone to the other room to shower. Edgeworth and Kaitlin were sitting alone at the table.

"Does the time have some sort of special significance to psychics? Sabrina asks me what the time is a lot," he said.

She looked out the window at the dark sky. "Yes, it does."

"Are you alright? You seem kind of sad," he said.

Tears streamed down her eyes. "I'm just thinking about the day my family died, at the hands of Team Rocket."

Edgeworth began to recall what he could remember of his father, Gregory as he sat in silence across from Kaitlin. Suddenly the lights flickered as he noticed she was whispering to herself. He guessed she missed her family as much as he missed his. He wanted to speak to his father once more, to know what he though of the fact he was defending a client for once. That was when Kaitlin let out a blood curdling scream that interrupted his thought process. He watched as she went into an almost seizure and then stopped breathing against the table.

"Kaitlin?" He questioned.

"I can't," she whispered like the sullen, ominous cawing of a raven.

Edgeworth questioned her but she didn't respond, only hung her head with a malevolence. "What can't you do?"

"Too much pain..." she cried.

He gripped the edge of the table and yelled. "Kaitlin! Listen to me!"

"I can't break psychic law!" She screamed.

It was then that her eyes flashed up into his own, a bewildered and feral look raging through the distance.