Chapter 5

Vanessa POV

"Hey guys!.." I turned to look back at Lisa and Mitch. They were no longer sitting on the sand. They were standing looking at the sky.  "It looks like there's gonna be a storm." Mitch said gesturing toward the sky.

It was true. The sky had gotten a dark shade of grey. "We better get going." Jerome said. It was such a perfect moment but we all know those don't last forever.

"Twin.. Where did you park the car?" I asked Lisa. "The beach parking lot.." She had a sheepish smile. "We better start hurrying before it starts to rain." Mitch said.

I stood up wiping the sand off of my body. Jerome offered me his hand which I greatly accepted. My hand was small in his but for some reason that made feel safe.

I knew I could trust Jerome. We may have just met today, but I feel like I have known him forever.

Cliché right?

I felt a drop of cold kiss the side of my cheek. I look up just in time to see the rain start to fall.

I heard Lisa start to laugh. I remember when we were back In Texas, she would always love to be outside when it rained, and it didn't rain a lot.

I saw Mitch put his red and black checkered hoodie on her shoulders. I can't wait for them to finally become an official thing.

We all started walking towards the parking lot which wasn't that far away.

"Vanessa?.." I turned to Jerome. "Yeah?" He seemed to be lost in thought. ".. You look very beautiful." He smiled "Thank you" I could feel my cheeks getting hot.

"Hurry up guys, before it starts to poor harder!" Lisa yelled. Her and Mitch were standing by the car. You could barely see her eyes because the hood of the hoodie was covering them.

"Come on, I don't want you to catch a cold." Jerome said while pulling me towards the car.

We got into the back seat of the convertible which was nice and warm since Lisa had the heater on.

"Thank god I remembered to put the top up." I heard Lisa mumble.

A siren sound cut through the music that was softly playing on the radio.

Mitch turned the dial upward, increasing the volume.

*Attention. This warning was issued to inform that a severe thunderstorm has entered the Tampa area. Do not leave your homes. This warning is into effect from 6:00pm to 3:30am. There will be thunder and lighting in the area. Winds at 58 miles per hour. A slight chance of hail is also possible.*

"Shit." I said. It was 5:54pm. The broadcast kept playing on repeat. Lisa finally pulled the car into reverse and drove out of the parking lot.

"Mitch, could you put in a CD?" Lisa asked. No one was talking much after the broadcast they just heard.

I always got scared when they would issues storm warnings. The siren also reminded me of the purge movies.

Mitch didn't say anything but he did what she asked.

A calming voice came through the speakers that make me feel at ease.

"Is there a right way for how this goes?
You've got your friends
And you've got your foes
They want a piece of something hot
Forget your name like they forgot
Oh, ain't that something?

Some wanna see you crash and burn
And criticize your every word
I'm trying to keep from going insane
Ain't that the way of this whole damn thing"

I started to hum along.

"Nobody's gonna love you if
You can't display a way to capture this
Nobody's gonna hold your hand
And guide you through
No it's up for you to understand
Nobody's gonna feel your pain
When all is done
And it's time for you to walk away
So when you have today
You should say all that you have to say
Say all that you have to say"

"Hey guys. Did you want to go home or just come with us to the apartment?" Lisa asked interrupting my humming.

I quickly opened my eyes and looked up.

"Is it okay if we just stay at your apartment? I don't want you guys driving across the city in this weather. Especially since they told us to stay indoors." Jerome answered.

"True. I want to make sure you guys are home safe." Mitch replied as well.

"Yeah it's cool. Is that cool Twin?" He looked at me from the rear view. I turned to Jerome who was staring at me, waiting for my answer. "Yeah I'm totally cool with it."

----

"Wow. The power is out guys!" I yelled. I went to my room to change into some dry clothes, when I flicked the switch and nothing happened.

"NOOOOO!" I heard Lisa yell. "That means no zombies!" I laughed at my best friend.

I changed into cotton pajamas.

I walk into the living room to see Lisa had set up the old kerosene lamp we found at a yard sale.

Who knew that the junk Lisa buys would come in handy.

"Where are the guys?" I ask Lisa. "Oh! They went to go try on the clothes I brought for them." She explained

I saw Mitch walk into the living room with a black college shirt and a pair of basketball shorts.

"Your brother's old clothes?" I question Lisa. "Mhm. Honestly they fit perfectly, maybe a little big but it's good. My twin replies.

Jerome walks in next with a plain red shirt and black basketball shorts.

"I think this bacca looks bootyful." Jerome said with a funny voice. We all started to crack up.

Tonight is going to be a night to remember.