Chapter 39

Chapter 39
Jerome POV

"Mitch please drive faster." I pleaded. "I'm trying but there is a lot of traffic." He said calmly.

"Baby girl calm down please, remember about the baby.." He said looking in the rear view.

I looked back at Lisa and see her crying on Preston's shoulder. "I-I'm tr-rying." She managed to say.

I lean back in the passenger seat. I refuse to cry. She's okay. He's okay too. They are both okay. My eyes started to water, but I blinked quickly to drive the tears away.

Eventually we made it to hospital where they called saying they had Vik and Vanessa.

Mitch parked by the curb and I got out of the car and ran inside. "Jerome!" Mitch called but I didn't look back.

I had to know if they were okay. "Vanessa Garcia and Vik Barn?!" I asked the nurse at the front desk. "They are both in critical care and are not allowed visitors at the moment. Please wait in the waiting area." My shoulders slumped down.

"Are they alive?." I asked. She looked hesitant to answer "I don't know, the doctors will be out with information soon."

Preston, Mitch and Lisa walked in. I looked back at them and moved my head toward the waiting area. They followed and I sat down in a seat, putting my head in my hands.

I finally allowed myself to cry. I felt a hand on my shoulder and looked up to see Lisa, who like myself had tear streaks down her face. I hugged her and she hugged back. She was rubbing my back. I sat there in her hug and we cried for a good while.

I felt another hand on my back which belonged to Preston. "I'm going to the restroom." I mumbled.

-------
Vik POV

My body felt heavy and I didn't want to open my eyes. I heard noises coming from machines and I understood where I was.

I opened my eyes slowly and people blurred in and out of my vision. "He's awake!" I heard a yell and movement began happening.

"Sir can you hear me?" A nurse asked me. "Yes." I mumbled. I had an extreme pain in my leg but I wasn't able to move it. "He's stable."

I shifted a bit around but my body seemed sore. "Where's Vanessa?" I asked the nurse next to me. "She's next door in critical." She said with a sad expression.

"What happened?" I asked. "You were hit by a drunk driver. It hit on the girls side which caused her to hit her head pretty bad. Somehow your car rolled and you broke your leg. That may explain the pressure your feeling on it." She explained.

We sat in silence for a few minutes.

"Would you like for me to let your friends in?" She asked. "Yes please." She left and I sat there for a few minutes alone with my thoughts. Vanessa's in critical condition.. That can't possible be good.

The door opened and Preston came in first followed by Jerome then Mitch and a waddling Lisa. "Vik you're okay!" Lisa yelled and came to me and gave me the best hug she could give.

I could see how her eyes were puffy from crying and I gave her a small smile. She stood up and moved to a chair that was in the corner. Tears still streaming down her face.

"Hey buddy.. How's it going?" Mitch asked sitting on the side of my bed. "I'm okay. I broke my leg though..." I trailed. "At least you're okay." Preston said.

"Jerome?.." I asked. He looked up from the floor. "I'm glad your okay Vik," he smiled. "I'm just worried about Vanessa... Have they told you anything?" He asked.

I hesitated. I don't know if I should tell him.
"She-" "CODE BLUE. CODE BLUE IN ROOM 326." The announcer rang over the intercom.

My room was 325.
-------
Lisa POV

Vik's room is 325. No. It can't be her. Everyone but Vik ran out of the room and I followed the best I could. You could see a bit through the curtain and my stomach dropped.

Vanessa.

"Please you have to get out of here. This is for doctors only." The nurse said pushing is away. "That's my girlfriend in there!" Jerome yelled trying to pass the nurse. "That's why you should let them work please sir."

I heard a deadline and I lost it. I fell to my knees and started crying in hysterics. Her face. I can't get the way she looked out of my mind. "CLEAR!"

I covered my ears because I didn't want to hear this. Mitch wrapped his arms around me. I could feel him crying too. My crying turned into sobs.

I felt a sharp pain in my lower stomach. I hunched over. "Nurse!" Mitch yelled. A nurse ran over to us. I still had my ears covered. I felt something sticky run down my leg. "It hurts!" I yelled. I felt someone grab me by my arms and the pain got worse. I was seated in a wheelchair and was wheeled away from my best friends room.

"But Vanessa.." I mumbled, but I clearly wasn't heard. I was wheeled into a room and was lifted onto a bed. Mitch was at my side. Nurses with machines filed into the room.

I still hadn't stopped crying. "Help her change into this." The nurse threw a hospital dress to Mitch. I looked at him and he helped me change.

A doctor walked him and was talking to a nurse. Another nurse was cleaning up my legs which were stained in blood. I laid back in the bed and looked away. What if I hurt the baby?. I got another sharp pain and I yelled.

"Okay ms. Garza, you went through a lot of sudden stress which caused you to start having contractions. We are going to check on the baby. We may have to have an emergency C-section." The doctor said.

"You can't! The baby isn't due yet.. She'll be too little." I said. "Your baby will only be about 6 weeks early, it will survive. We had babies born two months early and live."

I looked at Mitch and started to cry. "Don't leave.." I said. "I won't baby girl don't worry." He said

I thought back to Vanessa, my best friend. I hope she pulled through. This can't be happening. "We need to get in there!" I heard a voice which sounded like Preston yell.

The doors opened and Jerome and Preston pushed through the nurses. Jerome had a small smile on his face. "She made it." He yelled.

I felt a rush of extreme relief, but it was cut short by more pain and I let out another yell. The nurses pushed Preston and Jerome out of the room.

The nurse hooked me up to a IV and started to do a ultrasound but we couldn't see. She called the doctor over to the screen and he nodded.

"Is he going to be the one you want in the room?" The nurse asked gesturing to Mitch. "Yes, he's the father." I said. "Okay we are going to have to do an emergency C-section."