Chapter 4: New Girl

When Ms

When Ms. Frosh entered the room, the noise was abruptly stopped.

"Well, aren't you lively?" medyo mataray niyang sabi. "Now quiet down. I have an announcement."

Everybody in the room was confused but Ms. Frosh is Ms. Frosh. She wouldn't let you think peacefully because she'll keep talking.

"There will be an addition to your class. Even if it's just for today, will you show her your best behavior? From what I heard she's home schooled so help her adjust."

Napakunot ang noo ko. Homeschooled? Why was she sick?

"Anyhow, she's late. Insolent, isn't she? Now, let's start the class." She didn't waste her time and started right away. I look at the clock and Miss Frosh's right. The new student is already 5 minutes late.

Moments later, we heard a knock. Everybody turns at the door and saw a girl wearing our department's uniform enter. If my memory is right, she's the same girl who interrupted our firearms class a week ago.

"You're late." Said Ms. Frosh.

"Sorry Miss. I got lost, and some students throw a welcome attack for newbies."

"Welcome attacks for newbies?"

All of us are wondering what she meant. There is no such thing as welcome attack, unless you count the one bullies do.

"It's not the usual party more like an initiation. They tried lifting me up using some vines. They said that's how they welcome new students." She explained then all my classmates burst into laughter. I kicked Nix's chair since he is laughing too. He looks at me and mouthed 'what?'. I made a face at him. Being bullied is not a laughing matter.

"Class quiet. Miss Harmony Leung, you may take your seat. Next time know there is no such thing as welcome party for newbies. It must be a prank."

Ms. Frosh resumed teaching right away while the new girl is looking for a seat. I stare at her intently. One thing that is noticeable about her is her eyes. It's monolid. Her face and built is rather small too. She has a shoulder length hair and fair complexion. She has that good innocent girl aura around her. She sat in the same row as mine. The last bench. What choice does she have? It's the only row with vacancies.

She caught me staring and she smiled. I averted my gaze quickly.

She doesn't seem like sick at all. On the contrary, she looked lively. Then why is she home schooled? Was she from another region? And why did she only attend school now? Did she fail and retook the exams?

My train of thought stopped when Nix discreetly handed me a paper. I opened it and read the message.

What are you thinking? – N.

Nothing.  I wrote as a reply. I handed back the paper and watch him write a reply.

Doesn't seem like nothing. Kanina ka pa tulala. I know your thinking face. – N.