Chapter 2

Chapter 2

Cammie pov

Amelia went to work early in the morning. By the time I woke up she was long gone. It was nearly noon! I have never been a heavy sleeper but ever since my long journey I finally appreciate sleep. Standing up and stretching I felt all my exhaustion and stress melt away.

I quickly changed into a short sleeves purple dress. It was a simple dress that puffed out a little at the bottom. I didn't take any of my fancier dresses with me. I want to live a simpler life even if it means pushing away my nobility. I was only given a title as a lady because my parents were nobles. I want to establish my own identity.

And if that means pretending to be a peasant then so be it! I want people to respect me from what I do instead of who I am.

I braided my hair sloppily before grabbing some of my belongings and leaving the house. I smiled, this is a new start that I was fortunate for. And now that I was here there was only one thing left to do:explore.

Today was my day to explore. I only caught a glimpse of the citadel when I arrived yesterday. This place looks even better in the sunlight.

My first stop was to visit my horse. I had her for as long as I could remember. We have been through a lot. When I was tormented and mocked for weeks, I would sneak out into the stables and spent hours just talking to my horse. It might have been weird to walk in on, but it definitely helped keep me sane.

I wanted to make sure she was alright in the stables. I don't know the next time I would be able to take her for a ride. Maybe when I learn my way around the city, I could go on a ride into the countryside. She would love that.

And I could bring Amelia too. We could have a picnic together. I have only known her for less than a day and already she has helped me out so much. Maybe mother was wrong when she spoke ill of her father. I wonder where he is. I'll have to ask Amelia about that later.

I also wonder where Uncle Joe went. Wherever he is I hope he is coming back soon. I would love the chance to reconnect with family. Family is what I should be focusing on right now. I have to stay away from boys. It all would probably end in disaster anyway. I wasn't good enough for Josh, why should I be for anyone else?

Josh was a jerk. He deserved more than what we did to him. I can always trust my train of thought to keep my mind away from the dark corners.

It was already midday and the streets were lined with people. I found it unsettling at first to be in such a crowded space. I got over it by distracting myself with the merchants and their products. A man in the corner was selling jewelry. I should probably go and buy some to send back home. I have to write another letter to mother soon. While I'm at it, probably to Liz, Bex, and Macey too.

There seemed to be everything sold in the markets. I was amazed looking around in awe. It was never like this in Roseville. There were more farmers in Roseville than merchants. We had to travel to the next town if my father ever needed anything made from a blacksmith.

My second stop was to the first blacksmith I saw. I wanted to get a small jeweled dagger for Amelia. The one I got was a little plain looking but I'm sure she'll like it just the same. I noticed at her house that she didn't have a sword which is surprising because her father was a blacksmith. I was originally planning on getting her a sword but I wouldn't want to offend her or her father. So I settled with a dagger instead.

I walked from the blacksmith to the man I saw earlier selling jewelry. It was going to be a stretch to get something for everyone but I was going to get a job soon. I should have probably waited until I got the job before I started spending most of my money.