Chapter 27

Chapter 27

Cammie pov

I've been thinking a lot about marriage. It was hard not to, the signs were all there. Granted, most of them came from King Edward. Zach has been particularly quiet on this subject. He knows it's too soon for me, and I don't know what's holding him back.

I've tried to ask him, but he avoids the topic like the plague. I want to look further into it, but I find it hard to see the point when we both agree now is not the right time.

I have my reasons for not wanting to be engaged so soon. I was going to be engaged with Josh and see how well that turned out. Not to mention being engaged is something huge. And as unlikely as it sounds, I want my family to meet him, besides Uncle Joe who already has. It's a longshot. Just wishful thinking.

After a few sleepless nights I knew I had to talk to someone. The back and forth conversations going on in my head were getting me nowhere. I was tempted to going to Grant, but I've already bothered him enough with my problems, plus he was busy with an assignment from Zach.

I thought to talk to Zach in person for a long talk because I certainly had a lot to say on the topic. Zach sat down with me in the royal garden, it sees that was where we had all of our important conversations.

"I know what this is about." He says the second we sit down.

"You do?" I ask anxiously. I didn't know how to initiate the conversation into the topic of marriage.

"I've known you for a while Gallagher Girl, I know when something is upsetting you, and I know exactly what it is." I forget how observant he can be.

"Then you know how I must be feeling already." Why was it so hard for me to say it directly? It's because I'm still frightened.

"Talk me through it anyway." Zach says giving me a chance to open up. I seized the opportunity quickly. This was as good of an opening as I would get.

"I've been thinking about it a lot lately, but you already knew that." I chuckle nervously. Zach placed his hand on my knee, a reassuring gesture. "I've come to realize that there was no reason for me to afraid of marriage. Logically there is no sense in being frightened, but there is still an illogical part of me that is." I admit looking down.

"Hey." Zach tilts my chin up gently to look at him. "Marriage is not about logic, it's about what you feel for the other person. I love you Cammie, so much that it hurts sometimes. Which is why I have something to show you."

I was expecting him to stand us and show us something. What I was not expecting was for him to reach into his pocket and pull out a ring.

What was going on? Is he really proposing right now? What do I do? I was freaking out, how do you remain calm when your boyfriend has a ring.

And you know what Zach did? He threw his head back and laughed at me. "Calm down Gallagher Girl I'm not proposing. I'm showing you this ring to help you finally get it into your head that I'm will wait for you until you are ready. Marriage is not something to rush into, and I would wait forever if it means us getting married in the future. This ring is to show you I want to spend the rest of our lives together."

I wondered how I was able to end up with a man like him. He always had a way with words, knowing exactly what to say. I was touched by his mini-speech, and a little emotional if I'm being honest.

Zach puts the ring back in his pocket and pulls me in for a sweet kiss. "Now you don't need to lose any more precious sleep over this. There is nothing to worry about, there is no rush to get engaged. And to be fair, I've had my share of doubts as well."