Chapter thirty two: Carrie

I sat at my desk waiting for Chiron to Iris message me. In my note I told him to do so, so hopefully he would.

After a few minutes I saw a shimmering light in front of me. The only reason Camp Ops didn't use them is because it's so easy to intercept them, but only if you knew one was coming, and not to mention there's no warning.

"Hey." Chiron greeted me once the image became clearer.

"I trust you got my note?" I asked.

"Yes, and the boy attached to it." He laughed.

"Good, now the boy's name is Fred, don't let him get anywhere near power of any kind. He should by leaded and watched by whoever can control him."

"Probably Percy." Chiron nodded. "But what about the marks on his face? Did you—?"

"No. He did them himself."

"Will he be talking about your camp at all?"

"No."

"How do you know?"

"His memory has been... Modified." I tried to find the right word.

"Not even going to ask." Chiron put his hands up in surrender.

"Good." I laughed.

"Now, I promise this will be my last question, why are you so keen to get rid of him?"

"No reason."

"Okay then, goodbye."

"'Bye." He sighed as I broke the connection.

I felt like taking a risk so I pressed my watch, my bow immediately appeared on my shoulder.

I made my way toward the archery range till lunch, which was in about an hour.

When I got there, I ran into a girl from Neptuna's cabin. She nodded to me and kept walking with one other friends. I caught some of their hushed words as they passed me.

"...She's still there. Liza must have broken her ribs pretty bad."

"I heard that Praetor Carrie went to see her."

"No, I think he was there to deliver another patient to the healers."

"But he might have done that to cover up a visit to Neptuna."

"Maybe, but I think..." Their voices trailed away as they kept walking.

I shook it off and trudged ahead.

I gazed at the target farthest to the left, that was the first target I ever hit at Camp Ops.

I stood in front of the middle target then readied my bow.

"One in each." I murmured, "Right in the middle."

About an hour passed as I fired arrow after arrow.

I looked around, a crowd had formed but I didn't care. Maybe they'll stop doubting me now, I thought. But that'll never happen. Everyone doubts me.

The wind started to speed up. It encircled me as if I were the eye in some twisted tornado.

"Who is doing this?" I yelled over the roar of the wind in my ear.

If anyone did respond I couldn't hear them. I huffed then put my bow away and started walking toward the Mess Hall for lunch. With every step the wind seemed to slow down.

Soon I stood for my speech.

"Good afternoon to everyone—" I stopped, seeing a whole table try to pull a boy down.

I recognized the boy that was trying to stand up as Cameron, the son of Zeus. I eyed him, trying to figure out what he was doing. Soon Cameron stood up, it seemed to me that his table just gave up on trying to restrain him.

"Yes?" I eyed him.

"You don't deserve to be praetor." He growled.

"Really? And what makes you say that?" I laughed, not sure what he was talking about.

"You're weak. You couldn't even stop C— Neptuna from getting hurt!"

"You haven't been here nearly as long as me."

"I challenge you to a battle, winner get's to be praetor."

"Does anyone else want to fight me for my post?" I announced to the whole Mess Hall.

No one stood or said anything, not even a whisper. The Hall went completely and utterly silent.

"If you lose then your cabin will be put to shame, you will be the laughing stock of the whole camp." I warned him.

"But if I win then I will become praetor."

"Yes. But the chance of that happening is so slim that even the thinnest needle wouldn't be able to fit."

"Good enough for me." He grinned.

"Meet at the field, say, two. If you don't show up then the consequences are bigger than your tiny mind can comprehend." I boomed, remembering the time when no one had any classes.

"I hope to see you there, unless of course you chicken out." He snarled.

"Don't worry, I'll be there. I hope that your cabin mates will help you get there safely." I eyed the whole table then sat down.

The rest of lunch went by without much conversations, which were mostly whispers and glances at Cameron and I.

"What in the name of Hera were you thinking?" Borac yelled at me after everyone had filled out of the Mess Hall.

"I can win." I spoke.

"Your best weapon is a bow! He can control air!"

"The kid doesn't know what he's getting into." I sighed.

"No he doesn't, but think about this, do you know what happens when someone is no longer praetor?"

"Yes, but I don't need to."

"They get their memory wiped! That or they're already dead!"

"Then I'll have to make sure I don't lose."