Chapter forty two: Carrie

During dinner Caleb sat at the end of the table, I had invited him to sit next to me but almost all of the instructors didn't like that idea very much.

"So, how are your ribs feeling?" Alivia asked once the healers came in.

"Better than broken." I smiled.

"Good." She grinned then returned to her seat at the healer's table.

I always felt so bad for her, the healers all treated her bad because she wasn't a daughter of Apollo.

"Who's the kid?" Juventas asked, obviously trying to keep her voice down so that Caleb couldn't hear her.

"Council." I murmured.

That's all I had to say. One single word summed up the whole thing. Juventas nodded, took a second to glare at Caleb, then started a conversation with the person on her other side.

After dinner I headed off to my cabin, Caleb following.

"Where am I going to sleep?" He asked once he caught up to me.

"You'll see." I entered my cabin then sat in my chair, "Now, do you trust me?"

"Do you want me to tell you the honest answer or my answer?"

"Your answer."

"To an extent."

"Good enough." I shrugged, "Now what you want to do is pray to your godly parent and ask them for a place to sleep, nothing more, nothing less. If you want some space I'll be happy to oblige."

"No, it's fine." His eyes shut.

After a few moment of inaudible whispering a door appeared in the middle of Grace and I's rooms. Caleb opened his eyes and grinned, obviously proud of his work.

"Huh, I actually did it!"

"Now make sure it isn't a dud." I instructed.

He opened the door and peaked his head in then ran in and shut the door behind him. I could hear whoops and cheers from inside. I rolled my eyes and returned to my work.

Caleb came back out, grinning like a madman.

Suddenly there was a loud, rapid knocking from the door. I stood up and went to see who it was.

"Carrie, I need to talk to you. Now." Neptuna was bouncing on the balls of her feet nervously.

"Stay, or you will be sorry." I told Caleb then I walked outside and shut the door behind me, I pulled Neptuna away from the praetor cabin.

"I remembered something." Neptuna said after we had stopped.

"What?"

"I remembered how I got—" She stopped, as if unsure if she should tell me.

"Got what?"

"...Do you swear not to say—" She started but I stopped her, I already knew what she was talking about.

"Your tattoo?"

"Yes." She frowned at me. "You knew about that before my mind was wiped too, huh?"

"I know a lot more than you think."

She glared at me for a moment then took a deep breath and looked away. She wrapped her arms around herself and glared off into space. I noticed the wrap on her arm.

"What is that for?" I asked with concern, grabbing her hand and extending her arm so I could look at the wraps. She bit her lip and shook her head. "Don't be ashamed." I gazed into her eyes. "You don't have to be scared of the tattoo."