Chapter forty nine: Carrie

Why did I let this happen? This is all my fault.

"All my f-fault..." I whispered.

"No... It's not..." Neptuna croaked.

I gasped. "Neptuna!"

"Yeah... Hi to you too, Blondie..." She grimaced and attempted to sit up.

But before she could, I brought our lips together.

I could taste the blood on her lips, like rust and salt water. I ignored the taste and continued to kiss her, filled with relief that she was alive.

I finally pulled away a few minutes later.

"I thought you were dead." I whispered, my voice cracking on the last word. "I thought you were gone."

"I'm not leaving that easy." She tried to reach up and wipe the tears from my face but she winced and hissed in pain.

"I'll get Alivia." I said quickly. I turned my head and called to Alivia's tent. "Alivia!"

Alivia jumped through the flap-door of her tent and rushed over, carrying three rolls of wraps and two bottles of cut-cleaner like some sort of superhero.

I quickly wiped the tears from my face and moved so Alivia could tend to Neptuna's injuries. But Neptuna grabbed my arm weakly and tried to pull me back over to her. I quickly sat down next to her, I took her hand and looked into the embers of the once burning fire, not wanting to watch Alivia.

Neptuna weakly squeezed my hand to try and get my attention. I turned my head to look at her. She was sitting up now, and her arms and neck were bandaged. The bandages were already like a second skin, thin and tight. Neptuna smiled at me and raised her other hand, which was shaking, to wipe the last of the tears from my face.

"I'm okay." She whispered.

"I know." I whispered, trying not to start crying again.

"What the name of Hera happened?" Max strode out of his tent.

"Furie attack." Neptuna explained.

"Furies? Out here? Are you being serious, mate?" He sat down, obviously surprised.

"Yeah."

"Wow." He threw another log onto the fire. "Wonder why."

I took a deep breath and looked down at my lap. Neptuna lay her head on my shoulder and closed her eyes.

Natalie stepped out of the woods, with five horses.

"Where'd you get horses?" I asked.

"The real question is who trusted her with horses." Max laughed.

"That wasn't very nice." Neptuna frowned and lifted her head from my shoulder.

"Uh, sorry then, mate." Max gaped at her.

"No, no, not you, Max, I meant the horse." She nodded to the horse on the farthest right, then winced.

"You need to rest." I told her gently. "You've lost so much blood. You're not fit for travel."

"I'm okay." She shifted around, and started to try and stand. "I would be better with nectar or ambrosia, but apparently those are forbidden."

"Careful!" I yelped as she stumbled.

I was on my feet in an instant and caught her before she hit the ground.

"Alright, alright, I'll be careful..." Neptuna muttered. "I'll admit, I might have lost a little blood..."

"A little? Are you kidding? You almost bled out!" I lifted her to her feet and put my hands on her waist to keep her upright.

"And you lost just as much!" Neptuna tried to take a step forwards, but stumbled again and fell into my arms.

It looked like we had been dancing and I had dipped her.

"I'm used to blood loss." I smirked.

I don't know what made me do it, but I took her hand and spun her around. She smiled as she spun to a stop and kept her balance, putting her hands on my shoulders. I let my hands rest on her waist as I held her close. She rested her forehead on my shoulder.

"I'm sorry. I love you." I whispered in her ear.

"It wasn't your fault." She whispered back. "And I love you more."

"No, I love you most."

"I love you more than most. Now—" She lifted her forehead off my shoulder and frowned at me. "--Keep your hands above my hips."

I hadn't even realized my hands had slipped down to the sides of her hips. I blushed and moved my hands back up to her waist. She chuckled and kissed me. I gladly kissed back.

There was a tap on my shoulder and I ignored it.

"Hey, guys, we've finished packing up camp. It's time to get moving. You've been making out for, like, ten minutes. C'mon, let's go."

Neptuna pulled away abruptly. "Ten minutes?" She exclaimed.

I laughed.

"Time flies when you're having fun." I murmured in her ear.

She clenched her fists around the shoulders of my shirt. I glanced at her face. It was redder than a strawberry. I laughed again.

"Oh, shut up..." Neptuna mumbled.

I kissed her cheek then helped her sit down on the ground.

I walked over to the horses and petted each one's manes.

"Natalie, where did you find these, they're so tame."

"Uh, I cashed in a small favor."

"From who?"

"Hippona." She spoke in a small voice.

"You cashed in a favor from a goddess?" I asked, my mouth agape.

"Uh, yeah and she kind of wants a word with you."

"Okay, fine, when?"

"Now. She's in there." Natalie pointed into the woods.

"Okay. Don't wait for me guys, I'll catch up."

"Where are you—" Neptuna started.

"I'll take this one." I patted a pure white horse closest to me.

"Carrie, where are you going?" Neptuna frowned at me.

"Don't worry. I'll be back soon."

"At least help me onto a horse first, Blondie." She rolled her eyes.

I chuckled and picked her up, then put her on a black stallion that was almost three inches taller than Max.

After I helped Neptuna onto the horse I jumped onto the white horse that I had picked earlier. Neptuna leaned over from her horse and kissed my cheek.

"Be safe." She sighed.

"I'll try. Love you."

"Love you too."

With that, I rode off.