Chapter 18

Today is my birthday. I am now officially 23 years old.
I sighed as I got up from the couch.
But, it never really feels like my birthday. I mean, I never celebrate it like other people with a cake and candles and all that . I just treat it like any other day, cause that's what it is.
Plus, I don't want to celebrate it without Mason.
I ran my hand through my hair as I walked to the kitchen and I started pouring milk into a bowl.
"Happy Birthday!" Summer screamed. I almost dropped my bowl.
"How did you know?" I whispered.
"Know it was your birthday? I'm your number one fan remember?" She whispered back.
"Don't tell Leo. I don't want him to make a big deal. Got it?" I asked.
Summer narrowed her eyes at me.
"Fine. I won't tell him."
"Tell who what?" Leo said as he walked into the room.
"Nothing!" Summer said as she ran to the room quickly.
I rolled my eyes at her.
"What was that about?" He asked as he placed a bag on the counter. I shrugged as I put the cereal into the bowl.
"Anyway, have you heard from the hospital?" Asked Leo.
I shook my head and I took a spoon and put it in the bowl.
The phone rang and Leo and I looked at each other for a second. That HAS to be the hospital. I ran to the phone and I put it to my ear.
"Hello?" I asked.
"Is this Naomi Evans?" The person on the other line asked.
"Yes." I said.
"Our patient, Mr. Huntley, is awake. He's asking for you." She said quietly on the phone.
"Mason!" I screamed as I dropped the phone and I started running out of the room.
"Wait!" Leo said as he ran out after me. I didn't care that I was in my pajamas, I wouldn't even care if I had toothpaste running down my chin!
Leo ran behind me as I ran out of the house and I ran into the middle of traffic.
"Sorry!" I said as I tripped over someone's car. I don't even know how I tripped over a car, but I did.
Leo was way back by the time I had crossed the street. I kept on running, nothing could stop me. I ran until I got to the hospital, I ran in and I ran to the room number. I ran bursted into the room and I saw him.
"Mason!" I screamed.
"Naomi!" He screamed back. I rushed over and hugged him tightly.
"I missed you so much!" I said almost in tears.
"Naomi, you're squeezing me too much." He said between breaths.
"Sorry! I just missed you so much." I said as I sat down on the chair as I still held his hand.
"What day is it?" He asked.
"December 14th." Leo answered at the door.
"Happy Birthday Naomi." Mason said as he smiled at me.
"Today's your birthday?" Leo asked as he walked in and sat next to me.
"Doesn't matter. What matters is that Mason is okay." I said as I squeezed Mason's hand. Leo looked at me and nodded.
"We never really celebrated birthdays at the orphanage. That's why she's acting like that." Mason said.
"Mason!" I said warningly. I gave him the "if you say anything else you really will be dead" look.
He quickly shut up.
"They didn't?" Leo asked.
"No. They thought it wasn't a big deal and they would just treat it like a normal day." Mason blurted out. I squeezed his hand more, now in a threatening way.
"Doesn't matter." I said sternly as I looked at Leo and then at Mason.
"Why were you in my apartment when the building burned?" I asked.
Mason sighed and sat up straighter.
"I was getting something." He said slowly.
"Getting what?" I asked.
"Your second book. I know how much it meant to you and that it helped you find peace at the orphanage, so I ran and tried to grab it, but the door was stuck."
"Mason...I'm already used to being disappointed with all that kind of stuff. You didn't have to protect me by getting my book." I said. I felt Leo's eyes staring at me.
"Look, you almost died. So, promise me if you have to ever choose between me or you, you'll choose you over me." I said.
"Don't promise that!" Leo said as he stood up. I let go of Mason's hand and looked at Leo weirdly.
"Naomi, why do you always push people away? He can protect you if he wants."
"Not if it'll cost him his life."
"And that's exactly what you have done for Mason and I. During the fire you could've died." He pointed towards my bandages. I put my hand behind my back in shame," and when I almost got hit by that car, you came and saved me! That's what we all do. We protect each other." Leo looked at Mason and I. I nodded.
"Okay...okay." I said.
"Good." Leo said as he nodded and sat back down.
"I need some air." I said as I got up and walked out of the room.

Mason will be released tomorrow. But, for now, I am walking by myself in the street as I thought.
I saw the ice rink and I paused.
"Love only makes you that crazy, sweetheart."
Those words kept on echoing in my ear.
The more I thought about it, the more it didn't make any sense.
This woman...she doesn't even know me.
"Thinking?" I jumped up in fright.
It was just Leo.
"Did you follow me here?" I asked.
"No. I was just walking and I saw you." He said as he shrugged. He put his hands in his pockets. There was silence for a few seconds.
"I...um...bought you something." He said as he reached into his pocket.
I stopped walking and I faced him.
"Leo...you didn't have too." I said. He stopped walking.
"Yes, I did." He said as he reached for my hand. He grabbed it and faced the palm up. He put something in my hand.
I let go of him and I looked at the necklace in my hands. It had a pink heart.
"Oh my gosh..." I mumbled as I looked at it closer.
"I know it's a bit last minute, and I would've gotten you something better. Bu-"
"It's perfect." I said as I looked up at him and a slight smile formed on my lips. He returned a similar smile.
"Do you mind?" I asked as I held up the necklace.
"Not at all." He said as he grabbed the necklace. I turned around and I picked my hair up. He put the necklace on me and I turned back around.
"Thanks...for everything." I said.
"It's my pleasure." He said as he grabbed my hand and held it.
I suddenly remembered what I said to him the second time we met.
"Such as a blue heart would mean sadness. And a gold heart would mean kindness. And a pink heart would mean love..."
Love...