Chapter 29

I walked down the street with my hands in my pockets. I was thinking hard. About my mom, about Leo, about my whole life really. I sighed as I turned my head towards a few noises. There was a crowd at the bottom of a building.
I rushed over. I bumped into someone and I looked at who it was. It was Leo.
"Leo! What's happening? Why are all these people crowding over this building?" I asked.
Leo spoke fast.
"There's someone gonna jump off. Naomi, we have to stop them!" He said.
"What? Who?" I asked.
"It's Mason..." He said.
I clenched my fists and I moved my way through the crowd. I ran into the building and I looked around.
Leo followed after me.
"Elevator Naomi!" He said as he grabbed my hand and pulled me towards the elevator. I ran as fast as I could and I waited as the elevator went up.
"What are you planning on saying to him?" Leo asked nervously.
"I don't know..." I mumbled.
The elevator doors opened and we were on the roof of the building. Mason was on the edge of the building and he looked down at the people.
I walked towards him and he didn't notice me. I looked over the edge of the building. My stomach had a sinking feeling as I saw how high we were.
"Leo... I can't do this. I'm terrified of heights..." I whispered as I backed away from the edge.
"It's your best friend Naomi. You can do this." Leo said.
I nodded and I tapped Mason on the shoulder. He sniffed and mumbled something.
"Mason...don't do this." I said as I looked mostly down at the floor.
"What's the point Naomi? I'm done feeling pain..." He said as he got closer to the edge. I took a step forward too.
"Don't do this. Please Mason...I need you." I said as tears sprung to my eyes.
"You need me?" He laughed.
"You don't need me Naomi." He shook his head and wiped his eyes.
"Yes I do!" I exclaimed.
"Look, I know how pain works. I always feel it. But this isn't the way to deal with it." I said as I touched his shoulder. He flinched. I quickly removed my hand and I took a step back.
"You don't understand Naomi..." He mumbled. My eyes shot up to him as he said that.
"I don't understand? I sometimes think about jumping off a building Mason! It's not easy to contain myself either. But, I do contain myself. I have great things and I'm not gonna give up on them." I looked at Leo then I looked back at Mason.
"You have Leo, Naomi. I have nothing." He mumbled.
"That's not true." I grabbed his hand and I put it close to me.
"You have me. You have me Mason! And I love you so much... So please don't jump." I said as my tears started rolling down my cheeks. Mason froze as he looked at my face. A look of realization came over him.
"You...love me?" He asked.
"Of course I love you! I always have! You're the only person who was there for me at the orphanage and I'm so grateful! Thank you. Now let me save you and come down." I said as I shut my eyes tight.
I opened my eyes and saw Mason coming off the edge. I sighed in relief. But, my bad luck didn't end there. Mason's foot slipped and he screamed. He fell off the roof.
"Mason!" I grabbed his hand right on time. I looked down at the ground in fear. Half my body was dangling off the building as Leo grabbed my waist and tried pulling me into the building.
"Leo!" Mason and I screamed.
"Hold on..." Leo said as he started pulling me in. I held onto Mason's hand tight. It's either both of us die or none of us. I saw the fear in Mason's face as his only support was my hand.
"Please don't let go!" I told Leo.
"I won't let go." He said as he finally pulled me in and he helped me pull Mason in. Mason and I fell on top of Leo.
"Thanks." I mumbled as Mason got off of me.
"Woah! That was like a really crazy trust exercise!" Mason said. I got off of Leo and I sighed.
"That was crazy."