Chapter 20 (warning: might break your heart)

I haven't talked to Mason or Leo all week. Not that I don't what too! It's just...I'm busy with work. I'm trying to work off the weeks I missed because obviously I can't type with my bandage.
I sighed as I ran my hand through my hair.
"Miss.Evans?" Mr.Murphy knocked on the door.
"Come in." I said as I stood up straighter.
He came in and he looked excited.
"I have news to tell you." He said. I waited for his answer.
"Aren't you gonna ask what it is?" He asked while looking slightly disappointed.
"Right! What is it?" I asked.
"You have been promoted!" He exclaimed with jazz hands. Although, I wasn't excited.
"Promoted? I don't get it... I haven't been here in months." I said feeling a bit dumbfounded.
"Well, I was looking over your work and your book and you are an astounding writer! I couldn't think of anyone better for the job. So take a few days off and then you can start with your promotion in three days."  He said.
I still didn't get it.
"Okay... Thank you." I said. He turned around and he paused.
"Oh, by the way, your being moved to a new building." He said.
"And... The building is in New York."
"What?"
-
"I can't move!" I said to Mason.
"But, Naomi, it's a promotion! You should be happy." Mason said.
"I was...I am! But I can't leave you here in California." I said as I shook my head.
"Naomi, this is your future we're talking about. The only thing I'm worried about is how you're gonna tell Leo."
"Leo...? I totally forgot!" I face palmed myself.
I looked at Mason with plead.
"No. No. No. I'm not telling him for you. You have to do this by yourself." He said as he patted my back. I sighed loudly.
"Fine..." I mumbled.
"Good." He said as he nodded. I guess he thought that he got the message towards me.
"Naomi! I have great news!" Leo said as he bursted into the room.
Mason quickly left, leaving us by ourselves.
"What's the good news?" I asked curiously.
"Well, I went to an audition for a movie and they called back today and told me I got the job! Isn't that great?" He asked.
"Yeah..." I said although I wasn't exactly paying attention. I was so nervous.
"I thought you'd be more excited for me." He said as he sighed.
"I am! It's just... I have ba-"
"We should celebrate! How about we can have a party?" He started dancing around the room.
"Maybe have a few snacks." He picked up chips and pointed at them.
"And maybe! We could all watch a movie." He said as he got the remote and turned on the TV.
"Leo...I u-"
"Shhhh. This day is going to be perfect." He said as he basically ran out of the room.
How the hell am I supposed to tell him?
Mason came back in and shook his head.
"You didn't tell him." He said.
"I couldn't. He was happy. I love to see that."
"Naomi, just do it already."
"I'll do it tonight. Promise."
-
It's 7 and Summer and I have set up snacks, movies, and really everything Leo wanted. He deserves everything.
I told Summer about the moving and she was okay with it. I just hope Leo is too...
I sighed. I have 3 days here. Make it count.
Leo entered the room and he smiled.
"I didn't actually think you'd set this whole thing up." Leo said.
"Well, today is your special day right?" I asked as I fake smiled. He didn't seem to notice though. He sat down on the couch and I sat on the opposite end.
"So..." Summer said as she sat in between us.
I sighed deeply.
"Which movie?" I said breaking the silence.
"How about the outsiders?" Summer suggested.
Leo nodded.
"Okay..." I said as I put the movie in.
I sat back down and Mason entered the room.
He eyed my carefully as he closed the door.
I shook my head.
I can't tell him. Not now.
-
So now it's in the middle of the movie and I can't stop tapping my foot. I'm so anxious. Mason would tell me to stop once in a while. But I couldn't!
"Tell him." Mason whispered to me.
I shook my head.
"Fine then. I will." He said as he stood up before I could stop him.
"Naomi's leaving." Mason announced.
"Mason!" I said as I stood up too.
"She's moving to New York in three days for a promotion." Mason announced. I clenched my fists.
"And you're going for the promotion?" Leo asked me. I nodded slowly.
"And everyone else knew about this?" Leo stood up slowly and looked at all of us.
Everyone looked away.
"So you're leaving just like that?" He asked me as he looked only at me. His voice started getting a little madder by the second.
"I don't want too, b-"
"Then don't. Stay." He said.
I shook my head.
"I can't... I'm sorry." I whispered.
"You're seriously picking a job over your friends? Over me?" He asked. He clenched his fists.
"Leo...I meant to tell you, but you were so happy and I didn't want to ruin that." I said as my vision got a bit blurry from the tears that swelled up.
I reached for his hand but he stepped away from me.
"Why are you being so selfish?" He asked quietly.
"Me? It's my career Leo! I have to take this step for myself." I said.
"Then take it by yourself and without me." He said as he walked towards the door. He left while slamming the door.
I turned towards Mason.
"Look what you did! How could you..." I said as I clenched my fists.
"I did it for you." Mason said quietly.
"For me?" I asked as I wiped my face with my hands.
"You don't do anything for me Mason. Not anything! And I do everything for you! I saw you in the hospital, I saved you in that fire, and I freaking saved you in that orphanage! And this is how you repay me?" I asked.
"But, it's okay right? Cause it's just me! The emotionally broken girl who's used to all this crap so why would she care about a stupid celebrity! Well, let me tell you something Mason! I loved Leo and you ruined about the best friendship I'd ever had! And by 'best friendship I've ever had' I mean Leo and I not our friendship cause now our friendship has turned to dust." I said.
Mason's face was pale.
"Don't ever talk to me again." I said. I ran out of the door.