Chapter forty: Queen's Journal

Louisa's PoV

Nagliligpit ako ng gamit dito sa may kwarto namin ni Alex. Sinisimulan ko na kasing magimpake dahil malapit na kaming umalis. Binuksan ko yung drawer ni Pangil at may nakitang nakasiksik na lumang notebook sa may gilid. Kinuha ko ito't binasa.

Roxanne Maquintosh's Memoirs

Oh my. Journal pala ito ng mommy ni Alex.

Tinignan ko ang paligid ko kung may nakakakita ba sa akin ngayon. Mukhang wala naman. Nasa baba yung magbabarkada, nanonood sila ng Titanic sa may sala. Si Pangil naman ay nasa trabaho kaya naman magisa lang ako dito sa kwarto. Sabi ni Ianna sa akin kanina sa may court na nakabantay daw sa akin si Sherra.

Bahala siyang mabagot kakapanood sa aking nagbabasa lang.

Pagkabuklat ko nung notebook, namangha ako sa sulat ni tita. Daig pa mga nagca-calligraphy sa grande nito. Hindi ko masyadong maintindihan yung ibang words doon dahil maraming kurba yung mga letra. Pinilit ko pa ring basahin. Nakaka-curious kung anong story ng mom-in-law ko e' hehe.

Roxanne's PoV

August 4th.
It's past the hour of nine, and my husband is still in battle. It's been a few months since a rebel waged war against him, therefore he had become preoccupied ever since. He promised me that he would come back for me. The rebels have gained access to one of our military forts, securing their defenses. Ripping apart the kingdom's frontier.

Xavier did what he had to. He opened up the skies, allowing the sun's power to shine on the enemy's heads. Burning them to crisp. Casualties are made in the process. Thousands of innocent lives that were living at the borders burned along with the rebels.

My heart mourns for them. As the queen, it is my duty to keep everyone's emotions in line. Grievance will be the last thing our soldiers need for battle. We must be strong at all costs. If I let them fall, the kingdom will be ruined.

Painstakingly, I brainwashed all of my people that no lives were lost at the borderlines. I made them think that we are winning.

But Devigne is not fooled.

Umawang ang labi ko. Kay mom-in-law pala nakuha ni Pangil yung hypnotism na power niya. Napakalakas ng mom niya dahil nasakop ng kapangyarihan niya ang buong kingdom. Milyones ang na-brainwash niya. Makakaya rin kaya ni Pangil iyon? Matanong ko nga mamaya.

August 25th
The war worsened. Xavier still hasn't come home to me.

The rebels transformed into vicious beings. Pale, rotten skin. Crimson eyes even without the scent of blood. Gnarly fangs, almost the same length as a saber tooth. Hunched postures. Web of veins spreading throughout their thin bodies.

They've all reached madness. None of our people are safe. Newblood Vampires are being hunted down by these creatures. What's worse is that they are aiming to kill all the vampire monarchs, and seat themselves into power. Their primary goal is to overthrow the Maquintosh bloodline to weaken the kingdom, then make their way to the mortal realm to wreak havoc.

All the Fullbloods have joined forces to vanquish the transformed rebels. Xavier deployed hundreds of powerful Fullbloods to help destroy the enemy. Even the children of the kingdom's lords are being enlisted into the military to help save the kingdom.

I placed a gentle palm on my womb where my baby lies. I'm almost due, but the war kept postponing my husband's presence.

Devigne gave me medicine to help with the contractions. It did soothe my muscles. She said that she will help end the war. At first, I found it funny that my best friend would say such a thing. She doesn't possess any powers unlike most Fullbloods. Her ability to create medicine and poison are enough to help us distinguish friend from foe. She's done it numerous times in court, hence why Xavier appointed her as Royal Adviser.

Devigne promised me that things will be different soon. I trust her with my whole heart. She's my best friend. Forever will be.

Napanganga ako. Matalik palang magkaibigan si Devigne at si mom-in-law? Sheesh. Grabe namang pagtra-traydor ni Devigne kay tita. Bukod sa inagaw niya na nga ang trono niya at ang asawa niya, sinira niya pa yung pagkakaibigan nila.

Maalala lang. Hindi ba may kapangyarihan si Devigne? Kaya nga binabalaan ako nila Pangil at ng mga kaibigan niya na masyadong delikado ang pagharap ko sa babaeng iyon dahil sa lason niya. According to Pangil, may alaga raw siyang ahas na nakabalot sa katawan niya. Yun daw ang nagsisilbing gwardya niya.

Hindi kaya'y late bloomer si Devigne? Anyway, itinuloy ko na lang ang pagbabasa.

September 12th
Devigne's powers finally unsheathed. And as she promised, she did help end the war against the monstrous rebels.

Xavier came home last night unscathed. Thanks to Devigne's medicine. And just as he arrived, I gave birth to our son. I insisted on naming him Alexander, after the tale of Alexander the Great. He was a great king to the kingdom of Macedon, and has never once lost a battle. I want my son to grow up such as that.

A king. A great one.

He will rule over the kingdom for hundreds of years, creating a better future for our people. He will meet the love of his life and bear children that will uphold the Maquintosh bloodline.

September 21st
A woman broke into my chambers. She said her name's Victoria, claiming to be an Oracle. The blessed one that could foresee the future.

I read through her mind to depict whether she's telling the truth or not. I wish I didn't. I saw everything she had seen in her vision. I saw myself dying, my husband dying, and the kingdom being ruled over by my best friend. I saw how she ended the Maquintosh bloodline. How she killed my nieces and nephews with her bare hands.

How she hunted down my child.

Victoria warned me that her vision is inaccurate. A little adjustment could be made to help alter our fates. I asked if there's any way to avoid my death.

She answered with 'it must be done'.

Nabitawan ko ang journal sa gulat. Was that her fate all along? To die in the hands of the person she trusted the most?

September 22nd
I didn't tell Xavier about Victoria's vision. He's too busy spending time with our son. My heart aches seeing them together.

How I wish this family could be complete soon.

September 29th
This will be the last time I'll be writing in this journal. My death will be a few years from now, and I have done every precaution I have thought of to prepare my family for the upcoming disaster set to destroy the kingdom.

Victoria spoke to me once more yesterday. She told me about a Newblood who would harbor the powers of a Fullblood. Claiming that her acquired powers would help reset the world.

To my death, all I wish is to see my family complete. And to meet my son's future queen. She will be a better ruler than I am.

That I swear.

Roxanne Maquintosh

Matamis akong ngumiti bago sinara ang notebook. Kahit hindi pa ako nakikilala ng mom-in-law ko, napakalaki na agad ng tiwala niya sa akin.

Hinaplos ko ang front cover ng journal. "I will try my best. Don't worry."

Binalik ko na sa loob ng drawer yung journal at pinagpatuloy ang pagiimpake ng mga gamit namin.

^^Chapter Ends^^