Climax

The sandwich Hermione had been staring at for the past several minutes began to blur as tears flooded her eyes. She was so tired she could barely keep her eyes open... and it was only lunch.

It had been almost a week since she made the deal with Ron... and she had lain awake every night since then berating herself for complicating her already complicated life. She had always thought that she would lose her virginity to Ron. However, instead of giving him her carnal treasure, she was going to break his heart.

"Hermione?"

She looked up.

"Oh. Sorry, Ginny. What about quidditch?" Hermione asked, scolding herself for drifting off again.

Ginny raised a questioning eyebrow.

"I was just summarizing everything I wanted Harry and Ron to tell McGonagall at their meeting today. What the matter with you, anyway? Ron said you almost fell asleep in class this morning."

Hermione sighed.

"I haven't been getting much sleep lately," she grumbled wearily.

"Why? What's wrong?"

Blushing, Hermione returned to staring at her sandwich before speaking.

"I lied to Ron. I told him... I told him I'd sleep with him, but...I don't wan to."

Ginny shrugged.

"Well, that's not so terrible. Nothing to lose sleep over," she replied.

Hermione's blush intensified to a rosy glow. 

"There's more," she said, swallowing the lump in her throat. "I'm going to dump him after the ball. I've had it planned for some time now. But the other night.." Hermione glanced around and then continued in a hushed tone. "He's so bloody relentless. I've rejected him time and time again... but the other night- I dunno... I panicked. I didn't know what to do. So I made a deal with him that I would sleep with him after the ball if he didn't touch me until then. And now... I just feel so horrible!" she finished, resting her face in her hands, a small sob escaping her. 

Ginny sat staring at her friend with a dumbstruck expression.

"Well," she began, "I guess now if the perfect time to deliver partly good news. Harry isn't shagging Parvati."

Hermione removed her hands to reveal her flushed face.

"How do you know?" she asked a bit sniffly. 

"I hired Dobby to follow Harry around for a few days," Ginny admitted.

"Ginny! You didn't!"

"Of course, I did. What'd you expect me to do? Ask Harry directly? 'Er... Hiya, Harry. Tell me, love. Have you been shagging Parvati Patil recently?'" Ginny joked.

"Yes! That's exactly what you should have done!" Hermione scolded. "You shouldn't be spying on him! That's unfair to Harry! He deserves honesty!"

"And Ron doesn't!" Ginny retorted. 

Hermione quickly looked away, glaring at her sandwich as tears once again filled her eyes.

"I know Ron's a bit oblivious," Ginny began sternly, "But even complete idiots like him deserve to know the truth. And the longer you put off telling hi, the more you're going to hurt him."

Nodding her head in silent understanding, Hermione wiped a tear away before changing the subject.

"Has Harry's behavior improved at all?" she asked, clearing her throat.