The End of the Beginning

Hermione sat in a large desk next to Harry and Ron in the Transfiguration classroom, listening to Professor McGonagall's lecture. It was their last class of the day and the Gryffindors and Slytherins were already packed up to leave. 

The bell already rung, and some Slytherins were already sneaking out. Everybody hustled toward the door before Professor McGonagall could get a chance to tell them their assignment. 

"Your assignment is an essay on Cross-Species!" The professor said in a deep, loud voice. Everybody groaned and mumbled; Hermione sworn she heard the Slytherins who escaped groan too. 

Everybody filed out, and right when Hermione was about to leave, the professor said, "Hermione. Draco. Before I forgot, will you two please stay after for a few moments?"

Hermione hadn't even realized Draco was still there. He looked at her, and she saw more friendliness in his eyes today than usual. It wasn't awkward anymore; they could be considered almost friends, even. 

"Of course, professor," Hermione accepted and Draco nodded. 

"Good," Professor McGonagall gestured toward her table with two chairs she just moved with her wand, "Take a seat while I go find my records."

The two obeyed and took a seat in the rather large, dark chairs. Silence. 

"So. What do you think she's going to say?" Draco actually started the conversation. Hermione looked at him before answering; she could tell he was trying to make an effort to start a conversation, and Hermione was grateful.

"Probably about our next session I expect. Are we still on for today at the library?"

"Yeah," Draco confirmed.

Where was the professor? "So, have you asked Pansy to the ball yet?" Hermione asked and saw his uncomfortable movement. She didn't mean to make him uncomfortable, but they didn't have that much to talk about. 

"I'm going to do it today, I think," He replied, his voiced flat and his eyes elsewhere.

Okay. So he didn't want to talk about the ball again. Point taken. 

The professor came scurrying out of a connected room with her arm clutching a scroll. She took a seat opposite the pair, and inhaled and exhaled. 

"Let's begin," she started. 

"So, as we know, I assigned Hermione to tutor, you," she motioned toward Draco and he nodded, "in Transfiguration. I know at first, the two of you seemed unpleasant at the arrangement, but I am the most thankful that it kinda worked out in the end."

Hermione and Draco exchanged an awkward look and the professor rambled on. 

"Draco has improved his grade in my class by almost two whole letter grades in such a short time. Well done, Hermione," Professor McGonagall took a moment to beam at Hermone who was smiling broadly back. Draco looked as if he had just heard shocking news. 

"As this grade has continued, I have come to the conclusion that you," she looked at Hermione, "will no longer need to continue to study with Draco. He has improved his grade, and let's hope he can keep it that way! Congratulations to the both of you! Biscuit?" The professor took out a bin of biscuits, but the two didn't move. 

No more study sessions. Hermione wasn't sure how she felt about that. She should be happy, but she changed her own study schedule just for this job. And, it also meant she wasn't forced to be nice to Draco anymore, not that she did it by force. 

They boh mindlessly reached for a biscuit and the professor smiled at them both. "Well, that will be all. I must be going to help the Head Boy and Girl now," and with that, she took off and left Hermione and Draco in here.