Betting Begins

The beast was chasing her. She could feel the heat of the flames being breathed at her back. The smoke clouded her vision. She could hear the pounding of the dragon's feet hitting the ground...the pounding grew louder...it was going to catch her-

"Hermione!"

Hermione shot awake to the sound of pounding at her door.

"Hermione! It's Ginny! Wake up!"

There was more pounding as Hermione quickly got out of bed and hurried to the door.

"Quick! We have to go!" Ginny exclaimed as soon as Hermione had let her in. 

"What? What do you mean-"

"Hermione! There's no time! Ron's going after Malfoy! He'll be here any second! Just throw some robes on or something! We have to stop Ron before he does something stupid! Let's go!" Ginny exclaimed rapidly.

Not only was Hermione extremely confused, but she was also alarmed by Ginny's sense of urgency. Briefly glancing at her clock, she was even more alarmed to learn that she had slept in until ten o'clock.

As soon as Hermione had thrown some robes over her pajamas, Ginny grabbed her arm and hauled her into the common room. At that moment, Ron came barging in, paying no heed to the two girls as he continued to Malfoy's door and started pounding on it furiously...although from the looks of it, he seemed more intent on knocking the door down than actually getting Malfoy's attention.

No sooner had Malfoy's furious face appeared when Ron's first went crashing into it

"RON, NO!" Hermione and Ginny yelled simultaneously, both hurdling over sofas to reach him before he caused any more damage. Meanwhile, Malfoy had recuperated from the blow and was feeling his bleeding cheek. 

"What the fuck was that all about?" he rasped.

"What the fuck is the bet all about!" Ron barked back.

Hermione had been busy tugging on Ron's arm but suddenly froze when she heard the word 'bet'. What was Ron going on about?

"Look, Weasle," Malfoy bit out, wiping another wave of oozing blood from his cheek, "I don't know how the fucking bet got started-"

"Bullocks! You started it, you son of a-"

"What bet!" Hermione suddenly interjected. 

Both Ron and Malfoy turned to look at her. 

"Apparently," Ron began, throwing Malfoy a look of pure hatred, "there is a very large betting pool concerning you ad Malfoy."

Panic and fear were slowly closing in on Hermione.

"What exactly are people betting on?" she asked tentatively.

Ron glared ahead and shifted uncomfortably, squeezing his hands into tight fists at his sides before answering.

"People are placing bets on when Malfoy will...seduce you."

Hermione's heart slammed into her throat. Everyone in school knew that Malfoy was trying to seduce her...including Ron!

"I think I'll just be going now," Ginny chirped, slowly backing towards the door. Malfoy took his cue.

"Unless you have any other asinine conclusions to jump to, Weasley,  I will be leaving as well."

Just as Ginny was making her escape out of the common room, Malfoy turned and went back to his room. Hermione heard water running a few moments later.