CHAPTER 3

The sun smiled down on the students in the faculty of science, University of Lagos.
The scorching heat failed at being friendly, students who dressed casually, putting on light cotton clothes were a bit safe compared to those who put on black wool, thick sweaters, long sleeves, coats and Alter neck tops, perhaps they didn't check the weather forecast that morning or they gave in to the cold hands of fashion trends, not bothered if the weather would support the latest styles or not, typical.
Year two students were already seated in the laboratory with their white lab coats on, looking very experienced, at least those who were taking the botany course titled 'Variety of plants 1'.
Most biological scientists, if not all were seated, students from the department of cell biology and genetics, microbiology, botany, zoology, to mention a few, were waiting for the day's lab task.
Nadira was going through her lab manual to have an idea of the lab assignment to be given, when she heard a very familiar voice with a unique accent.

"Naddy... What's up?"

On turning to her left side, she saw Tunde Coker winking at her, the sight of his three inches high, thick black hair drove her eyes off him, he looked extra annoying to her, but about 90% of the girls in her department of microbiology were head over heels in lust with the young man, this confused her greatly!
Is it his wealth or wild fashion statement? maybe his foreign-like accent that sounds faux to her, nothing wows her about him, he does claim to have been born in the United States of America, and lived there for eighteen years, his primary and high school education was completed there, according to him.
Is it his face? His looks? She wondered, Tunde is actually good looking but is not her taste, if that kind of taste that he possessed was synonymous to food, then, Tunde tastes like an extra bitter, terribly burnt caramel syrup if you ask her, which is quite terrible to her tongue, nerve cells and brain, not forgetting the whole digestive system, ick! He makes her want to hurl... Yes, it's that gruesome.

"Look, I know I acted like an animal some weeks back but I'm sorry."

"What an heart felt apology." Nadira, in a sarcastic way replied one of the most popular boys in class, she followed it with a wicked grin that made Tunde baffled, he didn't know if she was being serious or not, probably because no girl he has come across uses deep sarcasm when it comes to him, determined to get an answer at all cost, he pressed on.
"I'm sorry, I'll make it up to you, if you let me, Miss."

"Tunde, its okay, there's no need for any make up, I'm cool." She wanted him to shut up, the naughty side of her wished Tunde should suddenly become mute whenever he sets his big eyes on her or go dumb, this made her giggle softly.

"What is funny?" Tunde asked, Looking more confused than a toddler watching the news.

"Something ran through my mind, something ecstatic." Nadira smiled.

Tunde felt she was in a good mood, he got the whole situation wrong, so he dipped his hand into his pocket, brought out a star shaped blue box.

"Nadira," he began, smiling ear to ear then with a flash of uncertainty, he made a poker face. Her eyes were glued to the box, her mind whispered to her that this crazy guy is about to do something extreme, foolish and absurd but she succumbed to being patient, paused, relaxed and stayed calm, waiting for a bomb to explode from the box or Tunde's mouth or wherever it ticked from.

"I'd like you to have this Naddy." he opened the box, brought out a gold bracelet that had her full name engraved on it, her eyes widened like never before, her jaw almost dropped to the cold hard ground, shaking her head vehemently, she shot a firing gaze, almost piercing Tunde's blood pumping organ, then sighed in a tiring way at his stunning act, that's going to lead to more rejection anyway.