Chapter 17

"We have to go perform prayer." Umaiza pulled Nadira up, then they both went to her room to do ablution and pray.

Eva followed without them knowing, once they started, she watched how they moved in sync, she didn't understand one bit but loved the flow.

"Eva, what are you doing here?" Katie yelled as she saw Eva peep from the door outside, and watch seriously.

"No- nothing! Why are you yelling?"

"Why am I yelling? We flopped! That's why! We let them say most of everything and now I don't even know what to do with the issue on ground!"

"Which is what?" Eva bent her head to one side.

Katie dragged her to her own room that is a few steps away from Nadira's then slammed the door.
"Do I sleep with Felix or not? And the whole religion thing is confusing."

"KayKay listen, in the first place you shouldn't be asking me such questions like do I sleep with this guy or not, I mean you have your own brain to think for you."

"Eva! you're the one who told me-"

"Told you what? I only told you its the norm but if you've not done it yet and you're still contemplating then just follow your heart and head."
She lay on the bed.

"Hey don't lay on my bed with those boots on!" Katie flared up and carried her legs off the bed. "My bedspread will get all dirty and I don't know why you even won't put those boots off since you came!"

Eva grew angry at Katie's tone. "What's your problem? I did come here to help you, ingrate! I drove my car all the way from my home to this house! To help your childish ass and now you're yelling at me for every single thing I do?"

"You deserve to be yelled at Eva! All our plans? Where did they go? Down the drain huh? I thought we were to show them that they're just fanatics, but nooooo you had to ask questions upon questions!"

"Katie...I had to, I learnt quite a lot and.."

"And now you're a believer?"

"No! I never said that! I still have to do more research on my own in case-"

"In case you want to consider being a believer?"

"Hey!" Eva pushed Katie "what's your idea with cutting my words?"

"Urgh! I am such a fool!" Katie dug her fingers in her hair and ran them backwards then forwards then scratched them all over like she was running mad.

"Relax KayKay, I think all you have to do is stop listening to me or letting others decide for you."

Her eyes shot invisible daggers at Eva as she turned to watch her lips move. "You're vulnerable!"

"No I am not!"

"Then why is it that you're talking this way?"

"Because its high time you stopped being my shadow, I'm bad influence on you, I have atheists as parents and look at your life! You have a happy home, come from a religious background...strong religious background! My parents don't even care about me, I'm such a loner trying to find happiness wherever I deem fit, right or wrong...you're a little girl who has to decide for herself and follow the truth, you weren't like this when we first met."

"Eva! Shut up! Stop! Please!"

"No, no I won't, even now, you're confused because if you really wanted to be bad and all that, you would never have given Nadira an ultimatum to try to change you, go to your thinking spot, cry a lot and beg the creator to show you the way--"

"What? What? You just said the creator!"

"I know...who am I to deceive myself?" Eva walked to the door. "I grew up following the footsteps of my parents but there's more to know and knowledge is light... No wonder I have never been so happy, all has been lies...my conscience has dealt with me, I need to also try to understand my purpose, and its more than physical KayKay."

She held the door handle. "Think of it, you're a virgin and you want to give up all that gold for a guy with several girls in his pocket?"

Katie rushed to Eva and slapped her hard. "You freak! You can't start saying all these bullshit now! Stop! Please be the Eva Ogah that is fearless and doesn't care about anyone or anything! Wake up!"

Eva strikes Katie's left cheek in retaliation. "No! You wake up idiot! I've always been jealous of you! If you don't know, now is the time to! I wanted you to be like me so I could stop being envious of your innocence! I'm not a friend, I'm a rival! But now I'm tired of that and I just want the best for you! When I learnt you were a virgin, I wanted to do anything to end that! Because I can never get mine back since I was raped by my own cousin at the age of fourteen! I'm a box of darkness and my own mother didn't believe me...I told her everything but she only hit me till I landed in the hospital...from that day I decided to be this way, I'm not okay and I don't want to drag you into my world of horror! So please let me be!"

Eva Ogah's eyes were tear filled and Katie couldn't believe her ears, She marched furiously away from Katie, jumped several steps till she got down the stairs. Eva was about to leave through the main door when Nadira stopped her, she had been following her every step.

"Your voice is loud you know...I heard it all."

"So what?"

"Umaiza and I want to be friends with you...you're...lonely."

"Why?"

"Eva, you're sharp and inquisitive, wouldn't you want to know more about life and reality?"

"I'll do that on my own, thanks."
She sighed. "But thanks for the session, its opened my eyes to...to some things..."

"Can we exchange phone numbers then?" Nadira's eyes were irresistible.

"Okay."

Nadira and Umaiza waved good bye to Eva Ogah, and concluded she isn't that bad of a person, all she needs is guidance.

"Alhamdulillah! I'm happy this went well." The girls shared a hug.

"Let me check on Katie..." Nadira said and both went to her room, the door was open...

"Katie?" Nadira called as she didn't see her in there. "Katie!"

"Don't be scared, its not like I committed suicide." She uttered as she came out from the bathroom door opposite her closet, her hair looked shorter and she held a big scissors in her hands.

"I just wanted to-"

"Nadira...I need time alone please, don't worry I won't cut myself or kill myself, I'm too cowardly for that, I just want to make amendments, so I started with my hair...mayhap after a while, the amendment will get to my heart...but please let me be."

"Let's go Nadira." Umaiza whispered.

The red eyeballs Katie wore made it obvious she had been crying, her voice was shaky and sotto voce as she spoke, even her hands were weak.

"I hope things turn out well." Nadira shrugged as they left Katie's room.

"Thank you for all your time! may Allah reward you abundantly!" She pecked Umaiza.

"You too dear, I have to get going now though."

"I understand dear."

"We will gist Umar all about it on the group chat, I can't imagine how happy he would be, he really helped us you know."

"Really?" Umaiza winked.

"Ha! I don't know what that wink is insinuating but let's go."

Nadira accompanied Umaiza to the bus stop where she boarded a bus and headed for school hostel.

On getting back into the house, Nadira received a call from her mother, she said they'll soon be home but had to attend an event after service.

"What a day!"

Nadira let out a big sigh of relief then stepped into the kitchen to have some snacks from the refrigerator.