Chapter 35

Umaiza shrieked.

"What's the matter?" Umar panicked, he left the sitting room, dashed into his room to check on his sister, she came to spend the weekend in his home. Umaiza has been acting very weird lately, when  she called that she wanted to come spend some time in his home, he was glad. That gave him time to study her, but he was clueless, only that he noticed that her friendship with Nadira grew sour and sour everyday, even after he called her attention to it.

"What's up? Are you okay?"

She only took a nap twenty minutes ago, what could've happened? It was 5;35pm now.

"Nadira." Umaiza whispered.

"Yes? What about her?"

"Nadira!" She said, loudly this time. Then flung the duvet, she stood upright, thinking for a while. "This is important Umar. Nadira is in trouble."

Umar's head spun. Nadira being in trouble is the last thing he needs right now, he really still cares about her. All the 'getting over her' idea that popped into his head in the office was all a consolation technique, he really loves this woman.

"Trouble? How do you mean Umaiza?"

"My dreams."
She walked hurriedly to her closet, dragged it open. "My dreams match, they match." Umaiza searched for a suitable outfit, her hands quickly but gently raised the clothes on the top of all the other properly folded clothes to select her black abaya. "Nadira finally drowned in this dream, she finally drowned."

Umaiza didn't pull off the clothes she had on, but wore the abaya on top of it. "We have to go check on her, now!" She slipped her legs into her shoes, the ones that were closed to her pick from the shoe rack close to her drawer.  "Her faith,  the darkness represents her going into the wrong path." She quickly snatched a black hijab from the surface of her bed.
Umar held her arm, he felt her pulse escalate. "You're not going anywhere in this condition."

"Let me go Umar! Let me go! My best friend is in danger!"

"You won't step a foot out of this room, not to speak of leaving this house!"
Umar scowled.

"What is your pro-" she struggled. "Problem!" She wriggled free. Rubbed her arm, then hissed, murmured something under her breath. "Umar, excuse me." She raced Umar to the door, but he was quicker, he locked it, shaking his head. He put the key in his pocket, folded his arms.
"Umaiza, you won't leave until you calm down for the sake of Allah! And explain all this to me."

"Explain what?"
She flared up. Threw her hijab on the floor and flapped her arms. "Do I owe you any explanation? Explain what?" She screamed after, then bit her finger.

"Why you stopped relating normally with Nadira even after I pleaded with you! Why you've been acting very strange lately! Why in the world you got up and started acting like someone who saw the angel of death trying to snatch Nadira's soul! Why--"

"Okay! Okay! I get it." She rolled her eyes, tears rolled down her cheeks, she ran into Umar's arms and wept for a while. Umar knew she was in pain, so he fell silent and let her cry, he pat her back gently. "Verily with hardship comes ease."

"Umar, I love Nadira so much, and I really want the best for her,  I swear I'm not jealous of her."

"I know. I believe and trust you Umaiza, you've a good heart, so you'll sit,  relax and answer all of my Why's okay?"

"Okay." She sat on her bed. Umar sat next to her.

"I didn't stop relating with Nadira, I just stopped flowing with her, it felt wrong for me to be happy for her, I didn't know why, until I started having these crazy weird dreams, but I didn't talk about them, I felt my mind was playing pranks on me."