Chapter 4

"Be modest enough to know that you're not better than anyone else, but be confident enough to know that no one is better than you, so never feel too low of yourself, by making others ride you over nor should you feel too high of yourself, by being cocky, attain a middle course."
- Aishah Oredola.

THE EXPLOSIVE COMEBACK

"Nad, Hiya."
Mabel, Nadira's coursemate waved like the Queen of England, as she passed by, cutting her thoughts of Toyibah Ahmad off, bringing her to another Wynd in memory lane.

"Oh, hello Mabel, how are you?"

This, is the last person she wanted to see, she hadn't seen her in a couple of months, since Mabel misses lectures and probably lives off school campus now, abandoning the school hostel, thanks to sugar daddies, boy lovers, male friends with a whole lot of benefits, men who pay for something else that you give to them, that isn't morally legal, if Mabel were to be married, husbandry will be her practice, and she hasn't spoken to her for a year, why she always called her Nad, she can never get it, maybe being selfish with the alphabets makes her earn good, easy money, since that's what she cares about. Nadira quickly recalled her year one days as a fresher and what encountered between she and Mabel.

"I'm full of beauty, literally, to be modest, I'm doing beautiful, I'm doing fine."

Next time, say you're okay or good.
Who told you that you're actually fine?
I didn't ask you
You're covered with thick make up
Girl, give me a white handkerchief and with a good rub, I'll wipe out 85% of your beauty off.
Yes, you'll see it on the hanky, looking all brown, red, black and messy.

Nadira knows Mabel, a lot and tries to be good to her, thanks to inner patience.
Now it's like her against the world, it's that most people aren't her kind of people, Thank Allah for Umaiza Nasr, that she just met, who is such a darling, most other people in school, are just annoying to her.
First, Tunde Coker, then, Toyibah Ahmad, now Mabel is here to refresh her memory of the bad things she doesn't want to remember, all in a few weeks, wow, this is a test from beyond.

Mabel Tolu Brown, a 6ft Tall caramel skinned model, she is also a video vixen and fashion designer, speaking of fashion, she hardly puts on any clothes, mainly just very short shorts, like shorter than the shortest shorts, she says she wants to flaunt her long legs. Armless tops, tank tops, shorter than shortest short dresses and major mini skirts are her kind of outfits and fashion styles.
Now, how Mabel used to come to class looking all wayward was what made Nadira feel pity for her in year 1. Now, Nadira regrets it than ever.
It all started with the day a guy was sexually harassing Mabel in class.
Nadira intervened politely, with wisdom, this made the guy let Mabel go.
Mabel thanked Nadira so much, and invited her to her room, which is in a hostel not too far from Nadira's, On getting there, Mabel and her three room mates were playing a game, truth or dare.
She remembers it just like it was yesterday.

"Hi girls, this is Nadira Najib, Nad, I appreciate her guts and invited her here, she's the brainy girl I told you about, the one who shoved that sexual harasser off my back."

They all welcomed her, then offered her a drink, unknown to Nadira, it was mixed with alcohol.
Nadira realized this, after the first cup, as she started feeling dizzy and became nauseated. Suddenly, Mabel laughed and announced to the three girls that Nadira is now going to be initiated into their cult, the soul hunters cult.

"Excuse me?" Nadira said, in an authoritative tone, with confidence, even if she was so dizzy.
"No one informed me of this! What if I don't want to be a part of your cult?"