Chapter twenty-nine: Familiar

"Now remember, loves, be careful. Our safe house is a little bit tight for your size." True, she was the shortest in our group. The cave was not that dark, just a little bit of light would do to see the way. In front of us was a huge, circular wooden door. Pushing it open very, very carefully, Flayflay showed us the survivors of Hymnilyria. The injured elves rested beneath a soft white mat, breathing heavily. The female elves gathered all their ingredients to make medicine while the male elves carry more injured ones to a space.

The families tightened the blankets around them while some putting ice on top of their heads. The musicians played relaxing tunes in their instruments to help calm the citizens a little. They may have had an equal amount of medicine, but about their foods and drinks, is there some left? I read their minds, they're all conscious, which was good. Young elves, that were two feet tall, were crying as their elf nurses clean their wounds. All of us, except Erna, bowed our heads down a little. "Can we talk to someone about this?" I turned to Flayflay, who, for a girl who dressed elegantly, picked her nose and flicked the booger at a small rock. "Hmm?" She faced me the moment she was done picking her nose again. "Oh yes, you can talk to our maestro. She's the one who mostly knows everything. Follow me!"

We went past a few injured elves. They looked at us as we passed without a word. I blamed myself for not knowing this would happen. We could've saved more lives while we had the chance, I thought. I shouldn't read their thoughts this time. We already know that it's our fault for not knowing the cause of all this.

"Here she is!" Flayflay beamed while heading towards a woman with pointy ears. She's wearing one of the most beautiful dresses that I had ever seen. Her beige dress flowed with beauty along with her purple flower blouse. Erna was a bit jealous. Her bright golden hair was now messy. She was ordering her nurse while giving their aid. "Who's she?" Erna asked.

"She is Maestro Lady Fluteena, the headmistress of Hymnilyria. She's the one who maintains the music of Lyria."

"And what is that?"

"The music of Lyria is one of the most helpful magic spells that spreads joy to the elves! Until this happened." The maestro was also busy doing the work to help her people by using the music of Lyria. For now, she couldn't do it. "Lady Fluteena! Lady Fluteena!" Flayflay waved her hand excitedly. I read her mental state, she's born that way. Lady Fluteena heard her but didn't see her until Flayflay curtsied. "Flayflay?" The head mistress's turquoise eyes squinted as if she couldn't see the little girl's face. 

"Good, you still recognize me. The Light Warriors are here!" Flayflay said. We stood behind the little elf who was still smiling.

"Oh, great jasmines!" The lady of elves gasped with round eyes.

"Ma'am, I am Commander Vortecse. Along with me are my team of Flash warriors: Lady Erna, Craully, Yrlin, Jalve, Hugo, Joal, Barbatine. There's another warrior who is an astrologist sorcerer, Mr. Stargayzer." Giuseppe slightly nodded. He thought that only these elves could make a bigger space. "We're sorry for being too late" I apologized, bowing my head.

"Especially if you feel down about this whole thing." Giuseppe motioned to all the elves who were doing their thing.

"We wish we knew about this sooner," I told her, preparing myself for the blame but instead, she sighed and said, "As am I, commander. I was not expecting such a visitor who hasn't brushed its teeth." Then, she turned to Flayflay. "Where were you?"

"I was on the surface trying to see if there was something left for these fellow elves, love," replied Flayflay.

"I hope they're still is. Commander, will you and your fellow warriors follow me? And Flayflay, helps the elves gather more supplies from the surface. Got it?" Flayflay nodded at Lady Fluteena's orders. "Yes, love. See ya'll chaps later!" She winked at us before heading out with the male elves. 

"Chaps?" Erna asked. "Where did she learn that?"

"Wait," I stopped her. I turned to the other warriors. "You guys, help Flayflay and the male elves too." Joal, Jalve, Hugo, and Barbatine nodded and followed Flayflay.

"This way, please." We followed the headmistress towards another area. A single lantern lit up the space. Nothing but rocks and a single, wooden table. Erna and I sat on the hard surface while she sat on a rock. Giuseppe stood at the entrance of the room, watching these struggling elves try to save a life. "We're here to ask you questions about what happened."

"Let me hear them," she said.

I asked, "Where were you before this happened?"

"I was in my treehouse, of course. Trying to make new melodies for the music of Lyria, because, within two days, it'll be a grand celebration of our ancestors. The ones who lived in peace in this land."

"When did the catastrophe happened?"

"Yesterday at noon, after I finished my new masterpiece," she replied.

"Well, that's bad timing," Erna commented.

"I know. All I did was a waste." Lady Fluteena lowered her eyes, looking down.

"How did your homes got destroyed?" I continued. First, she hesitated. But finally, she spoke up, holding her breath. "There was . . . a huge blast of fire coming from the skies." Her eyes contained pain and agony. Her emotions were changing randomly, but she tried to hold them back. "The elves tried to run from the destruction, but most of them didn't make it. Even the ones who tried to rescue them."

"In your perspective, maestro, do you know who- or what caused all of this?" I asked.

She nodded, "In the beginning, I thought it was a huge cloud of shadows lurking in the sky, but I was wrong." I leaned closer and so did Erna. I hoped Giuseppe could hear the whole thing, too. "The shadows opened their eyes before their snouts opened to reveal our worst, unforgettable nightmare."

"Then what happened?"

"It . . . it . . . disappeared." I didn't know what to say about that, Erna froze in place, and Giuseppe finally paid attention to the headmistress. 

"I . . . don't understand." I shook my head.

"That's it," she said. "It did an absurd thing to my people and it just disappeared." She wiggled her fingers. "Leaving the place in ruin. But," she added. "Something odd happened, and I'll gladly tell you what it is."

"And what could that be?"

"A voice from above, so horrific and deep. I thought it sent a message to us."

"What message?"

"It said, 'I am coming and I will rule once again' I do not know what that message means, but my people and I will be in grave danger, especially every family, friend, child, and unborn child in this world." Giuseppe sat beside me. The three of us exchanged looks. Quite mysterious, this was.

"So it talks." Giuseppe raised an eyebrow. 

"I do not know for sure," Lady Fluteena said. I went into her mind, I saw her point of view. She looked up helplessly to the sky to see grey clouds with a big shadow, about to spread what looked like big wings before the fire descends. And there it was, the voice. A voice that was somehow familiar to me. 

A/N:

I haven't paid attention to the other warriors' descriptions because I'll have to let Gray, Guis, Erna, and Lady Phatima be the main focus for a while, but you'll get to see the rest of the gang in action in a couple more chapters, don't worry 😁😉. Jeez, commander wonders whose voice was that? Can you tell whose voice was it? It's cool to make theories!