June 2011 - No Such Luck

Chapter 7

June 2011 - No Such Luck

It had been a whole week since I had spoken to Ryan. He was definitely avoiding me. I was so confused, I still didn’t know exactly what happened. Since he won’t talk to me, I couldn’t ask him about it. I was surprised that I hadn’t run into him, we did after all live across from each other. That’s it! I’ve had it! I had three options 1) Wait to ‘accidentally’ run into him and talk to him then 2) Go over there and talk to him or 3) Wait for him to come to his senses and talk to me. I didn’t like any of those so I went with the fourth option….

****

I watched as Sophie went and knocked on Ryan’s door. I felt like a stalker, spying on them through the peephole in the door. Sophie had entered enemy territory and I didn’t have ears on the inside. Damn it. I had to wait until she came back. I was bored after the first 5 minutes. I couldn’t think of a way to pass the time so I went through the contacts in my phone to see who I could get to come around. Chris was the first on my list, besides from Sophie who had saved her name as, ‘Awesome-pants Soph’.

Text to Chris-face

Hey. I’m bored. Come over and hang out with me so I’m not bored AND alone! Please, I’ll love you forever <3

Text from Amelia

I only had to wait a minute or so for a reply;

Text to Mel-face

Since you asked so nicely, I’ll be around in a few. But now you have to love me forever ;)

Text from Chris

****

Chris arrived at my apartment and we sat on my couch to chat. I wasn’t really paying any attention to the words he was saying, I was too focused on the door. I kept expecting it to open but it didn’t.

“…and then the guy just…Melly? Are you even listening to me?”

“Ah huh”

“Yeah, sure. I’m gay and I’m in love with Tom. He is my honey-pie and I’m his sweetie-cake”

“Mmhmm”

“Okay. I’m pregnant and William is the father!”

“Cool”

“Amelia? Come on. I’m trying to tell you that a fish ate my toe!”

“Yeah”

“Argh! I come all the way over here and you ignore me. No matter what I say, you are going to continue looking at the door and if you aren’t looking at the door, it’s your phone? What the hell is going on…?”

“…really Amelia? Nothing? You know, you aren’t the only one that has to be close to someone that you like. I mean, I see Sophie almost every day and you don’t see me complaining about it. Are you going to sit here and cry about Ryan all day?”

“Wait, what? Did you say something about Ryan?”

“Now you listen….”

I was confused, I didn’t know what he was talking about and it probably seemed as though I wasn’t interested. Well, normally I would be all ears to what Chris has to say but my relationship with Ryan was at stake, “I’m sorry. I got distracted. What were you saying? Something about Ryan and did you mention Sophie?”

“NO! I never mentioned Sophie. You obviously misheard me”

“Okay, calm down. I was just asking”

“Sorry. I didn’t mean to….”

Just when I had actually started listening, Sophie burst through the door.

“I’m home. Oh, hello there Chris. I didn’t know that you were stopping by today”

“Yeah, Amelia asked if I could keep her company”

“Cool. Any way. So, I went over there….wait. Is he allowed to hear this?”

Sophie pointed to Chris, as if I didn’t tell him what had happened. Sophie seems to forget that these guys are my friends too and not just hers, I do talk to them and I do tell them things.

“Yes Soph, he is allowed to hear this. It’s not like it’s top secret. Unless you found out that Ryan is in fact a member of the CIA and has a classified mission to murder us!” I gasped after ‘us’ to add dramatic effect.

“You think you’re funny” I nod in approval, completely agreeing with her.

“Like I was saying, I went over there and had a really nice coffee. He makes a good cup of coffee considering he doesn’t even drink it. Anyway, I causally brought you up in our conversation and he went all funny….”

“Funny how?”

“I was getting to that if you just let me finish Miss. Interrupter”

“Sorry. Please do continue”

“It was funny in a kind of guilty way. He looked sad. I didn’t want to make him sad so I stopped asking questions. We discussed current news, by news I mean gossip. Did you know that the lady at the bookstore is cheating on her boyfriend with Greg from the Pizza place?”

“Wow that is really fascinating. It really is but is there anymore?”

“Um, Megan who works in the fruit shop is planning on moving in downstairs?”

“Not any more gossip, I mean with Ryan?”

“Oh, nope. That’s all I got”

“A funny look?”

“Yeah”

I honestly don’t know why I ask Sophie to do things for me. It never goes the way I want it to and I always end up doing it myself.

“Thanks for your help, Sophie!” She smiled at me and skipped off to her room. Chris sat next to me, looking as jumbled as I was.

“What was that? I thought she was meant to give you answers, not gossip with the guy?”

“She was but now I’m going to have to do it myself and I really didn’t want to talk to him about it”

“What’s the plan then?”

“Wait until he talks to me first?” I tried giving him my most convincing grin but it didn’t work. Chris got up off the couch and went towards the door. With his hand on the handle, he turned to me, “Just try talking to him. What’s the worst that could happen?”

With that, he shut the door behind him and was gone. What was the worst that could happen? Oh god….he could never speak to me again. He could start to hate me; he could want me to DIE! Okay, now I’m overthinking a little bit. Maybe a little bit more than a little bit.