December 2013 - Going Away

Chapter 36

December 2013 - Going Away

One of the best things that could have happened, happened to me yesterday. I had recently finished my studying, handed in my last assignment and was done. Yesterday afternoon, I got a phone call from one of my teachers, informing me that they had sent in my final written piece to some fancy publishers at this company and they said that it was good. Then he informed me that they wanted me to go up there for a few weeks. Apparently, they work with journalists and have agreed to teach me all the inside ropes to how it works. They even said that by the end, I may even get one of my pieces published. I was definitely excited to say the least.

I hadn’t told anyone about my news yet. Well, I called my mum and told everyone back home about it but I hadn’t yet told the people here. To be honest, I might have been avoiding that conversation. I didn’t want to wreck the holidays by telling them that I will be leaving for a few weeks. I can’t even celebrate New Year’s like I usually do because my plane leaves earlier the next day. I didn’t know how they would react, well I was hoping that they would be happy for me.

Since I had to actually tell them eventually, I planned on doing it the day after Christmas. That way, I didn’t spoil any Christmas cheer if they did, in fact react badly. It always gives me a few days to say good bye and spend some time with them all before I have to leave.

This was going to be great exposure to the kind of work that I want to be doing. This could set me up for a job if I’m lucky. I hope that they like me. Oh gosh, I hope that I am actually good. It would be terribly awkward if I go all the way there just to be told that my work is terrible and that I can’t write.