June 2016 - Never Let You Go

Chapter 42

June 2016 - Never Let You Go

I had spent the past two weeks having a laugh and reliving old memories with everyone. Being back made me realised how stupid I was for not talking to them and coming to see them more. They were family, I didn’t know what I was thinking trying to cut them all out. Sadly, I had to head back now. I had work in two days and I needed to be there on time.

Sophie and Luke had been so nice to me. Luke and I got along well. He was a really cool guy, perfect for Sophie in every way. Sophie had forgiven me but only if I promised to call her and continue to talk to her. I’ve learnt my lesson, I was never going to abandon the people most important to me because of my personal issues.

I promised everyone that this wasn’t a goodbye, it was a ‘see-you-later’. Everyone was gathered at Sophie’s apartment. William, Jake, Tom, Sophie, Luke and Chris were all there. They wanted to wish me luck and make sure that I didn’t leave without saying goodbye.

I hugged everyone and Tom drove me to the airport. He told me that he was going to be up soon and he was on his way. I thought that I was alone until I got back but I was wrong. Unpredictably, a hand tapped me on the shoulder. I turn to see Chris’ familiar face staring at me.

I had spent most of my time with him or Sophie. Just like old times. I didn’t expect to see him here, at the airport, “What are you doing here?”

“I had to come see you”

“You saw me before”

“I can’t let you go”

“Chris…” I got up off the uncomfortable, grey chair and stood in front of him, “…I have to go, I don’t have a choice”

“I’m not asking you to stay. Your job is important to you, I get that. But you’re important to me and I can’t let you walk out of my life. Not again. I’m tired of losing you and I hate myself for not doing anything about it”

“Chris. What are you saying?”

My flight was just called over the speakers, I really had to go now.

“What I’m saying is…” Chris stepped forward and kissed me. It was quick but said everything that he wanted it to, “…I’m coming with you”

I stood there as Chris pushed a loose strand of hair behind my ear.

“Amelia, say something”

I didn’t have time to think so I said what I was feeling in that moment, “We better hurry or we’re going to miss our flight”