September 2016 - My Best Friends Wedding

Chapter 43

September 2016- My Best Friends Wedding

Today was the day. Sophie was finally going to get married to the man of her dreams. I was ecstatic when she asked me to be her Maid of Honour. After everything we have been through, I was so glad to find out that she still considered me as her ‘sister’ and wanted me apart of this wonderful event. I asked her if she was nervous and she simply said, “I don’t need to be. I know it’s right”

Sophie had asked me to greet her guests while she and the other bridesmaids were getting dressed. Since I was the only one ready and ahead of time, I was taking care of everything else, so Sophie freaked out as little as possible. Sophie had three bridesmaids other than myself. Alex and Clare and Luke’s sister, Fiona because she had become rather close with the seventeen year old. Luke’s Best Man was his best friend from high school, Cameron the other three Groomsmen were Chris, Tom and William. Luke told me that he would have asked Jake or Drew but found that having one of his fiancé’s exes up there with him to be a bit awkward.

Sophie had wonderful ideas for her wedding, she had been planning this day for the majority of her life. The whole time that I’ve known her, she had a plan for her wedding day. She finally decided on Wonderland. Everything was white. It was outside so we made all the grass white, to make it look like snow. Sophie loved snow. The trees were dressed with white lace and fake white flowers. Her bouquet was filled with white and purple flowers. Roses and orchids. Sophie’s hair was up in loose curls that freely fell on her face. Her dress was a long laced, flowery and flowed well past her feet. Flowers traced alongside the hem and was bunched up before her chest. She honestly looked stunning. The bridesmaids’ dresses were a light violet colour that matched the purple orchids in the bouquet. The Groom and his men wore little white roses in their pockets. Everything matched beautifully.

So, I was put on guest duty. Standing at the door, showing people to their seats. Sophie’s family walked in and I had a casual chat with her mum while I showed her to her seat. She told me off for moving away. Sophie obviously informed her of what had happened. Her mum probably hates me now. If she did, she didn’t show it. She still spoke to me politely.

Next came my family. They loved Sophie like she was one of us and Sophie felt the same way about them. Of course Sophie wanted them there. Even my brother Cody wanted to tag along to see Soph tie the knot. I stopped to hug them all in the door way. It was then that I saw someone. Ryan was directly behind them. I showed my family to their seat and walked back to the door where Ryan was dressed in a suit and tie. This was the first time I had seen him in two years. I felt strange. I felt mad and sad and just argh! I couldn’t think of the words to describe the things I felt. It only got worse when he walked over to me and started talking, “Amelia. Fancy seeing you here”

I awkwardly laughed not being able to do anything else, “Yeah. I didn’t know Sophie invited you”

“Yeah, I got the invite a week ago and thought, why the hell not”

“That’s fair enough”

“I have a wedding to go to but after, you wanna catch up. I haven’t seen you in…”

He paused which gave me the chance to finished his sentence, “Two years. Over two years”

“We have a lot to catch up on than”

I slightly nod and show him to his seat. Before he sat down, he softly whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine, “You look really nice, Amelia”

I could feel my face flush with heat. I was all of a sudden very aware of his hand on my hip. This situation was making me uncomfortable so I made a quick escape, trying to look busy, showing the other guests to their seats. I couldn’t help but look back at Ryan who would occasionally look at me to. I tried brushing it aside for the sake of Sophie. It was her big day, everyone’s attention should be on her.