Terrible person [9]

"Do you have anywhere to stay, Mark?" Signe wondered, when Jack and Mark had gotten back from the park. Mark just sort of shrugged.

"I was thinking of just, booking a hotel room or something." Mark said.

"What? No, Mark! You're free to stay here with us!" Signe chimed.

"What?" Both Mark and Jack said in unison, before sharing a glance and looking back at Signe. Mark nervously scratched the back of his head.

"Listen, Signe... You don't need to--"

"No, I insist. After all, you're Jack's best friend. And I'd feel bad to just make you sleep in some crappy hotel. And I'd like you to stay. We haven't heard from you for a few days after all. You've been busy?"

"Well... Er..."

"He and Amy broke up." Jack put in for him, before heading to the kitchen. Signe gasped, putting her hands to her mouth and looking at the American with extreme sympathy.

"What? Why? I thought you guys were okay." Signe frowned. "You were so cute together..."

"Yeah, I thought so too but..." Mark's gaze fell upon the entrance to the kitchen, where he could see Jack watching the two with a pack of cookies in his hands. Mark looked back to Signe, trying to explain while trying his hardest not to just break down again. "Shit happens..."

"Oh, god, Mark... I'm so sorry!" Signe apologized, giving him a hug. "I know break ups can suck. But you'll be okay. We're all here for you."

"Yeah, she's right." Jack spoke in the doorway, still however not looking so enthusiastic. "Listen, Signe I'm feeling pretty tired... Is it okay if I go to bed?"

"Well, sure if you want. I'll be right up after you, uh, unless you want company, Mark?"

"No, Signe, it's okay. You go sleep. I'll be fine..." Mark murmured.

"Well.... Let us know if you want anything."

"Yeah... Thanks..." Mark croaked, managing a small smile.

Jack then decided to head up towards the stairs with Signe. Signe frowned when they got to their room, and Jack had already begun to change into his pj's.

"You seem pretty tense. Are you okay?"

"I'm fine, Signe... I'm just... Tired, that's all..."

"Are you sure?" She asked.

"Yes, I'm sure."

"Well..." Signe paused. "Listen, he's gonna need a pillow and a blanket to sleep with, so why don't you bring that down to him?"

"Ugh, why don't you do it?" Jack complained. Signe rose a brow at him, not seeming pleased.

"Uh, because he's your best friend and you should be there for him right now. I know you're tired, Sean. But there's no need for attitude. Just spend some time with him, cheer him up."

"Oh, alright... Fine..." Jack sighed, picking up one of the extra pillows and getting a blanket, he went back down the stairs, finding Mark lying down on the couch, staring up at the ceiling.

"Hey." Jack said. Mark looked towards him, not saying anything, before looking back at the ceiling. Jack exhaled, pacing over towards him.

"I got you a pillow and a blanket so you can sleep better." Jack continued, holding each item out to him. Sitting up, Mark took both things from Jack's grasp.

"Thanks..." Mark croaked, wrapping the blanket around himself and placing the pillow behind him so he could lean on it. Jack shifted from one foot to another, feeling a little awkward.

"So... Do you want company or...?"

"To me it seems like you'd rather be upstairs so... I don't want to waste any of your precious time..." Mark muttered into the blanket.

Jack thought for a moment, debating whether or not he should stay or go. He decided to sit down on the couch next to Mark, slipping an arm across his shoulder.

"C'mere..." Jack whispered, letting Mark rest his head on his shoulder. He wanted to be there for Mark in his time of need, not be a douche. It's just, after what happened... Things felt weird.

"I'm so sorry..." Mark cried, beads of water starting to once again spill from his hazel brown eyes. "I'm so sorry..." He repeated. "Ryan told me... He told me not to come here because I was upset... Because I was feeling like this... And yet, I didn't listen to him... I... I..."

"Mark, just... Stop apologizing..."

"No, I have to... I'm a bad friend..."

"Mark." Jack exhaled, giving Mark a stern look as he pulled him off his shoulder. "You're not, okay?"

"No, but I am... I am! Because... Because of what I did... And you know what's ridiculous?"

"What?" Jack said.

"The fact that even though I feel shitty for it... The fact that I know you have a girlfriend... Despite all that I just... I wish I could kiss you again. And that just makes me a fucking terrible person."

"Wait, what?" Jack frowned. "I thought you just kissed me as a moment sorta thing..."

Mark didn't reply but instead, just stared like before. Jack really didn't know what it was, but it seemed like something was definitely different between them now. When he stared at Mark like this, he almost felt like he could get lost in his eyes... It was weird.

The two found themselves slightly leaning in again, as their eyes began to close. But, as their lips were just about to touch, Jack jolted back in realization, shaking his head in horror.

I have a girlfriend... He thought. I'm not into guys. Why would I want to kiss Mark?!

"Don't. Just, don't. Don't look at me like that." Jack mumbled, getting up off the sofa. "Don't ever try to kiss me again, got it?"

Mark said nothing, but just nodded, as Jack then left the room to go back upstairs and go to bed. It was then that he broke down into tears and he started to cry himself to sleep.

He was stupid.... He just broke up with Amy. What was he thinking, trying to make such a move on Jack, who actually had a loving girlfriend...

I'm such a terrible person... He thought.