Acceptance [37]

Fuck... Fuck... Fuck... To say Jack was scared, was an understatement. Because truthfully, he was fucking terrified. He didn't believe his parents would be angry, ashamed but... What if they were...? He didn't believe there was anything wrong with who he was, he was perfectly happy. It's just how his mother and father might react which worried him. Other than the day he became independent, this was honestly one of the most fucking horrifying moments of his life.

They reached the house, returning back from their walk. The Irishman had to take a pause right outside the door, taking a deep breath, then exhaling. Just think positive... Just think positive... Mark gave Jack a reassuring smile, which did help calm him down a little, making him feel much less tense.

Rolling his shoulders, Jack pushed open the door, being trailed after by Mark who lightly shut the door behind him. Jack's mother and rather were sitting on the couch, watching TV together, completely oblivious to the news that was about to be dropped on them.

"Uh... Ma... Dad?" Jack murmured, stepping into the room quietly. He saw his parents turn around to face him, smiles lighting up their faces, which only made him more anxious about what he and Mark were going to say.

"You're back! Did you enjoy your walk?" His mother questioned. Jack shrugged his shoulders a little, stepping around the sofa and standing in front of the TV, facing them. Mark stood beside him, sharing the same straight faced expression. The looks on his mum and dad's face soon faded, noticing they didn't seem so happy.

"What's wrong, son? Did somet'in' happen?" Mr Mcloughlin asked, sounding concerned. Mark and Jack shared a moment of eye contact, giving each other faint nods before Jack turned around, pressing the button on the TV to turn it off. He turned back towards his sitting mother and father, still staring all the while with looks of confusion across their faces. (Which Jack couldn't really blame them for as they were being so mysterious up until now).

"Mum, dad... Listen... There's somethin' I-- We, have to tell you... And it's SUPER important, so please can you listen until we're done?" Jack pleaded, actually clasping his hands together as if they wouldn't give a flying toss if he hadn't. But they just nodded their heads, not saying anything but basically just said "go ahead".

Again, Jack breathed in... And then breathed out. He felt so fucking scared, as a million reactions and possible scenarios played through his head, (most being bad while some, good). He just hoped for a good reaction from them. They had to have a good reaction. He didn't know how he was going to feel if they flipped out.

"Okay..." Jack started, closing his eyes for a moment, then reopening them to stare back at them. "Look, there's a whole reason why me and Signe broke up... And it isn't really because we had, well, different interests or anythin'... That was a lie..."

He braced himself for them to say something, to utterly freak out and drop the F-bomb on him. But instead, they stayed quiet and collective, their eyes still showing they were just as interested to listen, if not more.

"The truth is... I... I fell in love with someone else..." Jack muttered, his eyes falling to the floor. "And I'm sorry if that makes you angry with me... It's not like I planned for it to happen."

Which was the truth. Never had he ever thought that he'd break up with Signe to be with Mark. Sure, maybe he felt something for the American before he has Signe as a girlfriend, but when he was no longer single, he didn't really see Mark that way anymore. At least, not until that one faithful day where Mark came to his house after Amy had broken his heart and then decided to plunge his lips onto Jack's. Everything changed then. But it's not like he never loved her.

"It's okay, Sean..." His mother said, to his surprise. "Love can be a complex thing somet'imes. You can't force yourself to love someone if you like someone else."

"So, who is this new person, then? Do they know you love 'em?" His father asked. Jack smiled a little, getting the very question he was afraid to answer. He nodded a little.

"Yeah... Yeah, they do actually..." Jack bit his lip, about to drop the whole story on them, but it seemed the American did it for him.

"In fact, I do know... Because we're together." Mark finished, lightly taking a hold of Jack's clammy hand. Jack gave him a small grin, then looking back at his parents faces that said "shock".

"I'm sorry if you guys are disappointed in me... But Mark is who I love, more than anythin'... He started off as my best friend, someone who I always admired... And I'm so happy to actually be able to call him my boyfriend..." Jack whispered, starting to feel teary eyed.

To his surprise, his mother actually got off the sofa, pulling him in for a hug as he wept. He said nothing, but hugged her back in return with no hesitation whatsoever. She beamed, pulling away and putting her hands on both his cheeks, staring into his bright blue eyes.

"Sean, I couldn't ever be disappointed in you. You're my son, and I love you. And if this is what makes you truly happy, if Mark is who makes you happy... Then I support you, one hundred percent." She said, lightly kissing him on the cheek.

"He does make me happy, mum... I don't regret it..." He happily admitted through his tears.

It was then that his dad got up, staring over at Mark who gazed back, wondering what he was about to say. He was kind of worried he was going to get an earful, because of the straight faced expression the Irishman had on his face. However, it went from an unamused expression, to that of pure joy.

"Well, Mark, I have to say... I sure wasn't ever expectin' my son to come out that he was datin' another man..." He chuckled. "But like my wife said, if you make my son happy, then we are more than happy to accept it... You're a bright young lad, and I hope you treat Sean right. Make sure you take good care of him."

"Don't worry, Mr Mcloughlin. I will." Mark nodded with sincerity. His dad nodded in return, seeming happy with Mark's response.

Jack was so ecstatic that his parents actually took it the way that they had... That could have played out so much worse than it really did... He was so glad to have a mother and father like them... He felt so lucky.