Letter [38]

Jack was actually pretty sad when he had to say goodbye to his mother and father later that evening, giving each of them hugs as he stood on the doorstep beside Mark, who was busy saying goodbye to his dog Gizmo.
After all the goodbyes (and even tears), the couple set off to the car, to be driven all the way back to Jack's house, which was going to be about at least an hour or so of a drive. Jack let out a sigh, sitting in the passengers seat besides the drivers seat, as Mark then climbed in beside him and slammed the car door shut.

"I'm so glad they didn't get angry..." Jack murmured, as he felt the car begin to move, pulling away to go back onto the road. Mark nodded in agreement.

"Yeah, your parents are lovely people. I'm so glad I finally got to be them. Oh, and your dog! She was just adorable!" Mark exclaimed, a big goofy grin on his face. The Irishman chuckled.
"Well, thank you so much for comin' with me..." Jack whispered, closing his eyes as he leaned his head back into the car seat.

"It was no problem, Jackaboy." Mark joked, earning a small laugh from the Irishman who was already starting to drift off in his seat. Smiling, Mark turned on the radio, trying to keep it at a low volume as to not to disturb Jack. From then on, with music in his ears, he spent the rest of his time just driving and keeping his eyes fixated on the road.

****

"Jack... Jack, we're back." Mark lightly muttered, tapping Jack on the shoulder to wake him up. Jack began to slowly stir, scrunching his face up as he let out a yawn, stretching his arms out around him. It was such an adorable sight to see from Sean, one that actually made Mark blush a little.

Eventually, the Irishman opened his eyes, blinking several times to properly wake him from his slumber. He noticed they were parked right outside Jack's apartment, just on the kerb.

"Wow... I didn't think I'd sleep all the way back... Sorry, Mark." Jack apologized sheepishly. Mark grinned, shaking his head and just brushing it off.

"It's fine. I kept myself entertained." He commented, pointing at the radio. Jack nodded, no longer feeling so terrible about the fact that he fell asleep, leaving Mark with no one to talk to. 'Cause he seemed to have the radio to keep himself distracted.

Finally, they clambered out of the car, making sure it was perfectly locked. Then, linking hands, the couple happily made their way up to Jack's apartment.
****

Cuddling and eating snacks. A popular position that these two seemed to find themselves in as they were currently watching TV, seeing as they were too tired (emotionally and physically) to do anything else other than just rest and eat.

After all, just the whole experience of getting to see his mum and dad again, seeing Gizmo again, seeing where he started everything, again... No matter how many times he'd go back there, it would hit him with an unbelievable amount of intense feels, which he was glad for. Because actually having those rush of feelings, thinking back to when he never had all the things he had now, it was what kept him grounded. What kept him in line with his morals and reminded him why he started all of this in the first place.

Biting his lip in thought, Jack thought back to that conversation that he and Mark had on their walk, the fact that he was no longer with Signe and that he was apparently thinking of one day marrying her (which can you really blame him for? They were together). But it did put a few things on his mind that he wanted to address with his boyfriend.

"Hey, Mark? Can I ask you somethin'?" Jack wondered, before biting down on the chocolate bar in his hand. Mark nodded a little, despite the fact that Mark couldn't see him, as he was hugging him from behind, with Jack on his lap.

"Go ahead." Mark finally spoke, seeming to realize this fact. Jack paused, finishing the chocolate in his mouth before going on to continue.

"You know that conversation we had earlier...? On our walk?"

"...Uh, yeah." Mark replied, seeming slightly confused. "What about it?"

"Well... It just made me think how much you probably think of our relationship..." Jack murmured thoughtfully.

"Okay...?"

"And, it just made me wonder... Do you think about things like that?"

"Like what?"

"Well, you know... Our future, the possibility of, well, marriage." Jack said, speaking about what was on his mind. Mark pulled a face, taking one of his hands and running it through his red dyed hair.

"I... I guess I... Do think about things like that..." Mark stammered, seeming a little embarrassed. After all, they had only been dating for at least six months. Heck, they didn't even live together yet. But just the possibility of being able to spend the rest of his life with his best friend, his boyfriend... It warmed his heart.

"It's fine, Mark... I think about our future too." Jack smiled, noticing the embarrassment in Mark's voice. All Mark said was a simple "oh", but Jack thought he sounded happy about that fact nonetheless.

"I'm sure it will lead to that, Mark. At least, we can only hope it will. Because I love you..."

"And I love you." Mark answered, holding Jack close. He nodded, beaming.

"Right. So who knows what might happen?" Jack said, deciding to pick himself up off the couch. "I'm going to the kitchen, you want anything?"

Mark pulled a face, thinking.

"I might as well get up and look. I'd like to stretch my legs." Mark grinned, getting a small giggle from Jack who then led the way to the kitchen. However, Mark and Jack stopped in their tracks when a sound of knocking could be heard on the door.

Mark decided to get it, going to the front door and checking to see if anyone was around. But there was no one. Confused, Mark closed the door, then looking down and noticing there was an envelope on the floor, which someone must have slipped under the door. Mark bent down, going to pick it up.

"Jack! There's a letter for you! You might wanna come get it!" Mark called over his shoulder, getting the attention of his boyfriend who came into the room, taking the letter from him with a bewildered expression on his face.

He began to open it, not really caring about ripping the envelope. His blue eyes scattered among the page he had pulled out of it and unfolded, reading over each word carefully. However, his eyes widened in an instant, right before he put his hand to his hair, taking a big clump of it up into his clenched fist.

"Oh shit..."