Part 3

3.

Bang.Bang. Bang

I wake up and almost jump out of my bed. I don't sleep tight. I always have to be ready for ...things.. I look around panicked. I listen if someone comes for me, but can't hear any steps. I almost sigh relieved as I hear it again.

Bang.My window. Someone throws stones against my window. How nice. The bullies can't let me at least sleep. Next step.

I wrap myself in my black, fluffy robe and walk towards the balcony window, not ready for whatever may come. The cold air greets me as it brushes my skin and dances with my long hair as I open the window and step out.

"Took you long enough", I hear Mani scold.

My shoulders relax as I see her standing in the moonlight. She looks beautiful by the way the moon shines at her black hair, making her skin look even golder than it is. She could be an exotic princess with her long, curly hair and her dark skin, while her face looks so innocent with red, plump lips. She would kick some ass as a princess,that's for sure.

"Lauren!",she brings me back out of my day dream. It happens so often. She smiles as I look at her and she finally has my full attention.

"I said grab some things and climb down you're staying over like my mom suggested.."

"Why should I?" Maybe she came for revenge, I'm not sure. Even if the thought of leaving is better than what I have to expect, I want to know what she's thinking about.

She looks down and I see her blush. Thanks to the moonlight. "Your last sentence got me. I'm sorry for being so mean. I'm no better than the people from school and should think about the things I say..."

"You're not like them. You're my best friend." She smiles and I begin to pack a little bag. Maybe I'm lucky enough to stay until tomorrow night. My house should be empty and I could sneak in again.

This time, I take the key of my window with me, step onto the balcony and climb down after I threw my bag that Mani catches.

"Do we walk?", I ask as I reach her and wipe my hands on my jeans from my landing on the grass.

"Mom's waiting" She grabs my hand and soon enough, I see the car of her mom.

"Hey Mrs. Kordei!", I greet as I get in and sit in the backseat. She turns around as her smile disappears.

"Hey– Honey, what happened to your face?", she gasps

Fuck.I almost forgot. No, I forgot and now I haven't covered it with make-up. Mani turns around as well. The blush of her face turns into her natural pale tone and I see a flash of worry in her eyes.

"It's fine. I'm fine. I- I just ...I slipped in the shower and hit my face real bad", I lie without knowing how I look. I don't know if it's convincing what I said...

"It looks horrible. You should cool it with ice when you are in bed in a few", my bff says and gives my hand a squeeze. She doesn't seem to think that something else might have happened.

"Honey,you know that you can always come to us, don't you?" Mani's mom was harder to get. I nod before she turns around as well and starts the car.

I lean my head back and close my eyes. Why must my life be so complicated?