High School Graduation

"Eren Yeager."

He couldn't believe his ears as he walked onto the stage to pick up his high school diploma and graduate. His life still didn't feel real to him. In less than a month he would be finished with finals and soon the summer holidays would start.

The last three years had been a rollercoaster in all possible ways. His mom's death, moving in with Levi, being mated with said man, university and college applications, Christmas and Levi's birthday, Valentine's, his 18th birthday, and now graduation...

Armin was, of course, valedictorian, but Eren was surprised he had done so well and had gotten accepted into the University of Trost. Given his above average grades record, which had admittedly been improving, and lack of substantive extracurriculars on his record it had been a long shot to get in. But somehow he had gotten into the same place that Armin and Mikasa would be studying. They would be pursuing different things – Armin would be going to prelaw, Mikasa into some combination of sport sciences and physiotherapy designed for athletes, and he was just going into the general Arts stream for now – but it still meant they would be in the same place and perhaps take some of the same courses. He hadn't been sure what to pursue, but Eren did know he preferred Social Studies and History over Biology and Physics. It was largely due to Levi's influence that he ended up there.

In retrospect, he was immensely glad for everything that had happened between them. Levi wasn't the best mentor, guardian, or even lover, but there were times when the things he did surprised Eren. Like how had gone out of his way to bring Eren to his workplace for advice. Without the added push from Hange and the rest, back in September, he might have easily given up the chance at a national university.

Despite everything that had happened, they were still in the "getting to know each other" stage of their relationship. There were many things he didn't know about the man, and Eren hadn't wanted to push too strongly. He knew that Levi had lost people he cared about in the past, and that he was also orphaned, but the alpha never went into much details. And now, knowing that his feelings were mutual, Eren didn't feel the urgency to ask questions. They were still in the beginnings of a strange relationship, part-mentor and part-lover, and there was time to pry when they were more comfortable with each other. Plus, he wanted to avoid a relapse of their first argument.

Smiling as he shook hands with the principal, he couldn't remember much else as he went and sat down as the next names were called. The rest of the ceremony was a blur to him, names and sounds, many he didn't even know.

Filing out with the rest of his class, their black robes swishing alongside his, Eren suppressed his large yawn, stretching the moment he got outside the building. It was good to feel the sun on his face; the auditorium had been pretty chilly. A hand suddenly clapped on his back, and he turned around, surprised to see Hange.

"Eren, congratulations on graduating!" Arms squeezed him in a tight bear hug and he tried, partially in vain, to break free.

"Oi, shitty glasses, stop strangling him."

"Pah! You're no fun, Levi." Hange released him after one last squeeze.

"Th-thanks Hange..." he coughed once he was free from that constricting grasp. The strength in Hange's actions continually caught him off-guard. It was kind of similar to how Levi was much stronger than he looked, although in the case of the latter, he knew just how muscled the alpha was under all those clothes.

"Definitely! I'm so proud of you Eren!" The brunette pretended to dab their eyes with the edge of their sleeve, eliciting a snort from the shorter male. "My precious baby... I still remember when you were just this tiny," Hange motioned slightly below Levi's height, "and I asked you to live with Levi."