9 | only fools rush in

only fools rush in

n i n e

"There's an apartment in my building, 850 a month. I looked at it when you told me you wanted a new apartment. You'll like it"

She smiled as he drank his sugary coffee.

"I'll check it out when I get off. Speaking of which, when do you get off today?"

He set his cup down and shrugged.

"9, 9:30. If I have to stay later then I'll call you, but that would only happen if we get a case"

She nodded and then drank some of his coffee.

"Thanks for letting me stay with you, I just, I don't know why I can't go back in that apartment"

"I like your company"

She smiled and leaned over the counter, kissing his cheek before going to take orders.

It had been two weeks and 4 days since the incident and she had been staying with Spencer the whole time, ever since the movie date they had.

They've been doing great in their relationship, he hadn't even really thought about fighting since he got with her, but every now and then of course, he's back in the ring and he's beating the snot out of someone. She hasn't had to sleep alone, and she doesn't really want to. When she wakes up from a nightmare, he's there for her. When he wakes up from a nightmare, she's there for him. It's new, and it's nice. And as she smiled and talked to customers, Spencer knew that his life would never be the same.

"Can I take her with me?"

He was just informed that he'd be leaving for a case, for a little over a week, and he didn't want to leave her behind.

"Are you willing to pay extra for her room?"

"She can stay in my room"

"Wheels up in 30"

He quickly grabbed his phone, calling her.

"Hey Spency"

He rolled his eyes but smiled at the nick name.

"Hey, are you off work?"

"Yeah, what's wrong?"

"Nothings wrong, it's just, I have a case and it's in Florida, and I'm leaving in 30 minutes, but my boss said it was alright for you to come along. If you pack a bag and haul a cab, you can make it here in 10 minutes, unless you want me to pick you up"

"Spencer, I would love to, but what about my job?"

He bit his lip, frowning.

"Don't you want to come with me?"

"Of course I do, but I've got a job to do too. I hate the fact that I have to sleep without you, and that you have to sleep without me, but I'll be here keeping the fort down until you get back. The landlord is coming on Saturday and we have to pay. I don't want to come home to an eviction"

He smiled and nodded.

"Y-yeah, I understand. You'll uh, hold the fort down? Got it. I'll see you when I get back next week, alright Karyn?"

His voice broke a little, but he tried his hardest to not think about it. He'd made it without her before, why can't he do it now?

"See you then Spency!"

She sounded so happy. Why was she happy that he was leaving, was she tired of him? Were they moving too fast? They practically moved in together when their relationship was established, and it's only been about 2 weeks, of course it's too fast. They rushed into it, they weren't going to last.

"Reid, what's wrong?"

He hadn't realized he'd been standing there, staring at his phone this whole time.

"Uh, nothing"

He put his phone away and grabbed his stuff.

"Guessing Karyn couldn't make it?"

He licked his lips, squinting his eyes and nodding.

"Yeah, she wanted to hold the fort down for when I get back. And she's got a job as well, so"

"Reid,"

He turned to look at Derek.

"Don't over think this"

He nodded.

"I won't, well I'm not"

"Don't get too deep, it leads to over thinking, and over thinking leads to problems that doesn't even exist in the first place"
- Jayson Engay