21 | getting better

getting better

t w e n t y - o n e

She looked at Harri and Samantha Moore sadly, their daughter was the first body found.

"I'm sorry for your loss"

She didn't know what to say, they were grieving parents, she's never had to deal with losing a child.

"Do you have a child?"

"No, but I lost my mother and brother and I know it takes a toll on parents"

She crossed her legs and Harri nodded.

"It's sad, she was our miracle child. We were told we couldn't have kids, and then a few years later, Sarah was born"

"So, you don't have any other kids?"

"No, she was our only child"

Samantha wiped some tears away and looked right at Karyn.

"Sarah hated long hair, she said it got in the way, she wouldn't let it grow any longer than chin length"

Samantha smiled and then frowned.

"Please, catch the man who did this, Sarah was everything to us"

"The FBI is doing everything they can to catch this man, and trust me Mrs. Moore, they are the best at what they do. You'll get peace, and so will Sarah, but please tell me, was there anything out of ordinary the morning that Sarah went missing?"

"She never told us much, she was a 17 year old girl"

"Would you mind if a few agents took a look in Sarah's room?"

"What does that have to do with finding the bastard that killed her?"

"Well, by visiting her room, we can determine a lot about Sarah, what she was hiding from her parents. We can find out if she was talking to anyone on the Internet, a new boy came into her life, things like that. It really is significant to the case"

Harri sighed and rubbed Samantha's back, nodding.

"Whatever it takes for you to protect other girls from this monster"

She lead the two out, thanking them for their cooperation.

"Thank you again, what was your name?"

"Uh, Dr. Karyn Novak"

She hadn't ever introduced herself as a doctor, it was new, but she liked it.

"Thank you, Dr. Novak"

She was standing with JJ, who had told her she did a good job.

"I feel terrible, they lost their kid and all I can do is tell them that we're doing our best? I feel...oddly pathetic"

"Which makes me wonder, they weren't angry, it was like they had come to terms with their daughter's death"

"Nothing could bring their daughter back, they realized that, and I know it sounds heartless, but they've come to accept it. Now they don't want other familes to have to deal with the pain of losing a child"

She explained and JJ nodded.

"You would make a great profiler, if you talked to Hotch, I'm sure he would say the same thing"

"Ah, this is more of Spencer's thing. I couldn't handle it, I've already got some spooky ass demons, and just watching how this job is taking a toll on Spence, it kind of hurts to watch someone you love, suffer because of something they love"

JJ smiled sadly.

"He's a lot better now than he was two months ago"

She nodded in agreememt.

"He used to get nightmares everytime he tried to sleep, it was horrible. I'd do everything to soothe him, but they kept coming. And then the nightmares slowly began to stop. He still has one every now and then, but he's getting a healthy amount of sleep now. I like to think that it was me, but it could just be coincidence"

JJ smiled a bright smile, hearing how Spencer had gotten better.

"Someone once said, if you care about someone enough, you start to care about yourself"

Karyn furrowed her brows as JJ walked away, biting her lip at the thought of the quote. She was so deep in thought, she didn't even notice him when he stood beside her, only when he tapped her did she realize he was there.

"Hi"

She smiled at him and he smiled a small smile before motioning to another room.

"Another family, Grey and Iris Cannon, lost their daughter, Kaili"

She nodded and stood up, going to the room. Just as she was about to walk in, he planted a short kiss on her lips.

"Don't over think"

She smiled at him.

"I would never"

"I strongly believe that love is the answer and that it can mend even the deepest unseen wounds. Love can heal, love can console, love can strengthen, and yes, love can make change"
- Somaly Mam