35 | almost too much for my soul to hold on to

almost too much for my soul to hold on to

t h i r t y - f i v e

"Did she ever have to relocate to Poland during the three years?"

Lysandra looked at the computer monitor before nodding.

"Yes, but she was only there for 2 months because her father had brought a criminal down for the prime minister"

"Who was it?"

"Cyryl and Antoni Orlik, they brought Cyryl down but Antoni was never expected of anything so nothing happened to him"

"Well, Mr. Orlik came to the states a year after that, perfecting his English and most likely plotting to get ahold of Karyn. Did you get any new agents in the year of '98?"

"I'm not certain, I'll have to contact my supervisor for that information"

Spencer sighed and bit his lip, he was getting closer to finding Karyn but it felt like her was only getting further away.

"Antoni Orlik hasn't shown up to work for the past 2 days"

Emily and Rossi came walking in, surprising Lysandra Gunn whom stood quickly.

"Who are you?"

"I am Operations Agent Lysandra Gunn, here to assist on filling in the blanks of Ms. Novak's life"

"Wait, Karyn's in Witness Protection?"

Rossi looked at Spencer, who nodded.

"So, where in all was she relocated? Other than Poland"

"She spent a few months in Italy, uh she seemed to enjoy Belgium, the longest was 7 months and that was in Germany, she was also in Turkey, and even  Lichtenstein"

"She came back to the states, why?"

"Because her whole life was here, she was born here, she had friends who knew the real her, she didn't have to pretend, um, what was her alias in Poland?"

"I believe it was Ryn, Ryn Adkins"

"Garcia, try looking for property in that name, since he has such an obsession, he might have used that alias"

"On it"

"How did she learn Polish in just 2 months?"

"She only knew the basics when we sent her there, but after she met Antoni, they got close and he taught her the language. Their relationship was what saved her and her father, Cyryl had arranged to have them killed, but Antoni said they were in love, but in the time he managed to convince his brother, we had gotten the two away safely and relocated them to Turkey"

"So why is he hurting her?"

Spencer hadn't slept at all since Karyn was abducted, his mind reeled with questions and he didn't know any answers. He had asked himself why Karyn was the target over and over, but he couldn't answer that by himself.

"She broke his heart, and things like that tear you apart"

"So, what caused him to take action after all these years?"

"He just recently found her"

Penelope looked at Spencer and then back to her monitor, her typing slowed.

"Um, there's a hotel where a Ryn Adkins is staying, it's in Haymarket, and there's another part of the hotel on the other side of the property where there are hurricane shelters that no one uses anymore"

Everyone shared a look, a knowing look, and they were off, the drive took 49 minutes, give or take, and when they pulled into the hotel parking lot, Emily and Rossi took some people to go check in with the hotel manager, ask about Orlik, whereas Spencer and Lysandra took some SWAT agents and made their way to the hurricane shelters.

There was no sound but the beating of his heart in his ears, the blood pumping through his body, adrenaline. He was getting her back.

They kicked open multiple doors in the shelter, searching for Karyn and Orlik.

They came across a locked door, busting the door down and rushing in, Spencer didn't hear himself say the words but he did.

"FBI, STEP AWAY FROM THE GIRL!"

She smiled at him, glad to finally be saved. Antoni looked angry, how could they have found them so quickly?

"Oh no, you caught me"

Antoni put his hands up, a wicked grin on his lips as Spencer put his gun away and rushed to Karyn, leaving Lysandra to take care of Orlik.

"We need a medic!"

He untied the restraints and lifted her into his arms, she held onto him weakly, her breathing laboured.

"My hero"

It was a soft, fleeting whisper, his ears had been deaf of her voice for so long that it was like the first time he was hearing them again. She leaned her head against his shoulder, slowly closing her eyes, finally able to rest knowing he had her. And he could finally breathe again, knowing she was safe with him.

"The sweetest of all sounds is that of the voice of the woman we love"
- Jean de la Bruyere