51 | uh oh

uh oh

f i f t y - o n e

A month. That's what it took.

A week of arguing. A week of sleeping away from each other. A week of him not coming home but to clean up. And finally, a week of her moving her stuff out of his apartment.

"What are you doing?"

He came home to see her shutting the door, her last duffle bag of stuff in her hand. He had been away on a case when she decided to leave. She bit her lip, glancing at him and then at the door.

"I found myself an apartment"

"What? What happened to us?"

"We fell apart"

"No, no we didn't. We're working on this"

She sighed, playing with the loose string on her crop top.

"Working on this? We barely talk to each other anymore, I think that pretty much speaks for itself"

"But, do you really have to leave? We can talk about it"

"I tried talking to you about it, you didn't want to listen!"

She felt the waterworks coming on and she blinked.

"Listen, something's missing"

"What is it?"

"I don't know, but it's not there anymore"

"Please don't leave me, please"

He was starting to cry, and it made her look away, not being able to watch as she tore him down.

"There's nothing for us to fight for anymore, you feel it to"

"Karyn, come on, why are you doing this?"

"We lost our spark Spencer, it's not there anymore"

"What are you talking about?"

She sighed and grabbed him by his tie, pulling him in, smashing her lips onto his. The kiss was great, but it wasn't anything compared to what it used to be.

"See?"

It was a soft whisper, something that caused them to let the tears fall at the realization.

"But"

"I know, it's terrifying"

"I love you. I love you, that has to mean something"

"I love you too Spencer, but...we've grown apart"

Her voice broke and he hugged her.

"Please, don't do this. Please, we can try this again"

"I want to, oh god Spencer, I really want to, but we're missing something. Just, give me space, okay? We need time to think about this, if we really want this. I love you so much, please understand that"

"I-i do, I do understand"

She kissed his cheek before pulling away, wiping her tears away.

"Where's your new apartment?"

"Um, far away"

He sucked in a breath, closing his eyes.

"Fuck Karyn, why are you doing this? I don't understand, we were okay, we had a few fights, but why are you giving up? Why now? After everything we've been through together?"

She shook her head, turning to walk away.

"You'll understand one day, I love you Spencer"

And she walked away from him, wiping the tears that started falling. He cried as he watched her leave, he entered his apartment, looking up and suddenly feeling empty.

This was serious, she had taken all of her stuff out. He threw his keys in frustration, angry tears falling down his cheeks as he slid down the wall.

It was over, for real.

"But pain's like water. It finds a way to push through any seal. There's no way to stop it. Sometimes you have to let yourself sink inside of it before you can learn how to swim to the surface"
- Katie Kacvinsky