27 | profound distraction

profound distraction

t w e n t y - s e v e n

She was sat on the plane, her head in her hand. Abë and Feli gave their confessions, the investigation was dropped, but Karyn was still hung up on the case. They were being told what to do, but by who?

"Hey, are you sure you should have come, you look like you're beating yourself up"

JJ was just worried, she knew that.

"I am, Abegail said that someone was giving her instrucgions, but she confessed to the murders and nobody even cared about the instructor. From what Spencer told me, it was hard to get a read on the killer, the crime scenes were messy but organized, and he said that you guys had ruled out a pair"

"I know there's something wrong with this case, we all do, but you should probably just go home, get some rest, hang out with Reid, don't think too much about this stuff"

She smiled at JJ and nodded.

"Yeah, you're probably right JJ, thank you"

"No problem, so there's actually a question that a few of us had had that I'd like to get answered"

She leaned back in her chair, getting comfortable.

"Ask away"

"Are those marks on him from you?"

She blushed and sat up.

"What?"

"I take that as a yes. Morgan saw them at the gym, he told us"

She ran a hand through her hair and tried to calm down.

"Well, yeah. They're from me"

JJ grinned and looked over Karyn's shoulder, giving a slight nod, and suddenly, the plane burst with laughter.

"What's so funny?"

Spencer was clueless and so was Karyn. Derek was hysterical, Emily was chuckling and shaking her head, Rossi seemed proud, JJ was acting like nothing had happened, and Hotchner was smirking.

"I've gotta tell Garcia"

"Tell her what?"

Emily looked at Spencer and shook her head, laughing lightly.

"What's going on?"

"Don't worry about it"

Karyn sat beside him, he looked at her and then at the others.

"How can I not worry about it, they're laughing and I don't know what they're laughing about. I feel so excluded, this is unfair, we're sup-"

She smiled as their lips moved together. He stopped talking and kissed her back. Once they pulled away, their cheeks flushed, he let out a soft chuckle, his lips twisting up at one corner, but quickly returning to an astonished look.

"Kissing is a pretty effective way of getting someone to shut up"

There was almost an hour of silence before Spencer went reaching into his messenger bag, pulling out a box of chocolates.

"I forgot about these, but I got them for you before we got on the plane"

She smiled and took them from him, pecking his cheek.

"You're such a sweetie"

He smiled and stole a kiss from her as she opened the chocolate box. She smiled.

"You want one?"

He nodded and she handed him a piece of chocolate. They ate their chocolate in peace, her cuddling into him.

"Why did you buy me these chocolates?"

"I noticed how you'd been so needy these last couple of days, more so than the week before, and I figured it was your time of the month, so I wanted to do something that would help you, and I know how you love chocolate"

"Wow, you really figured out that I was on my period because of all the cuddling we'd been doing?"

"Was that a bad thing?"

She giggled and kissed his cheek, cuddling him more.

"No, it's something that deserves a reward"

It was a whisper, and so was their whole conversation, because everyone was sleeping or reading files. He blushed.

"One of your rewards or material things?"

"Both"

"All profound distraction opens certain doors. You have to allow yourself to be distracted when you are unable to concentrate"
- Julio Cortázar