38 | happy to be back

happy to be back

t h i r t y - e i g h t

"My birthday is coming up"

Addien held Karyn's hand on top of the table.

"I know, you'll be 27, I'm planning something special, I've already arranged it with your doctors"

Addien grinned before noticing that something was off.

"What's wrong? There's something different about you"

"No, I'm still the same old me"

"No, something happened, you're hurt, you're not getting that much sleep"

"I'm fine, trust me"

Addien bit her lip.

"It was Orlik, wasn't it?"

"H-how did you know?"

"It was part of the plan, part of the operation, this is just the beginning, I'm so sorry, please forgive me"

"What are you talking about, Addien? Operation? What operation?"

"I'm sorry! I'm so sorry!"

Addien was sobbing and her grip on Karyn's hand tightened.

"I'm sorry, please forgive me! PLEASE!?"

Some orderlies rushed in, taking Addien away. Karyn frowned, standing up to leave.

"I don't understand"

She sat in the love seat for most of the day after that, thinking, what could Addien be talking about?

Before she knew it, she had to go to work for her afternoon shift. As she walked through the doors of the cafe, she suddenly felt slightly at peace, knowing that she could excape into the world of coffee and customers.

"Novak, we need to talk"

She nodded and walked to her manager, an old man, maybe in his sixties. He was an understanding guy, he just didn't like when people slacked off.

"You know, you don't have to come in if you're not feeling well"

"Oh no, boss, I want to do this. Thank you, for caring about me, but this is, you don't understand how great it is to be back"

He smiled sadly, nodding.

"You're a good kid"

"Thanks, boss"

He patted her on the shoulder and sent her back to wiping tables.

She smiled and talked to a few regulars who asked her how she'd been, and in that moment, she almost felt like she had never been kidnapped in the first place.

"Being able to depend on someone doesn't mean you're dependant on them"
- Sarah Rees Brennan