Chapter 17

Zoe texted Muriel to let her know that the software had been installed on the school network and that she wouldn't need a ride home after school. After school?  She felt just like a high school student for a moment there.

    "I am following Riley to cheerleading practice. Checking out Mrs. Roland," she typed.

    "Good. If we are lucky, Friday will be your last day at school."

    "Can't wait."

The program that Muriel created would comb through every e-mail and file located anywhere on the network. Then it could check on all Internet activity on the server and flag anything suspicious. The program also traced all interactions that occurred over the school's Wifi. When someone used a cellphone to access the network, a small spyware virus would be downloaded onto it and could track all the activity on that phone—including voice messages and phone conversations. Muriel invented that feature of program earlier in the year by adapting talk-to-text software code. Just a couple of days to go.

Zoe walked into her Biology class just as the tardy bell rang. She sat down at the back lab table, which was empty because Diego was retrieving what was left of their pig dissection and the tools.

    Mr. Glenwood stood in front of the class and called for everyone's attention. "Alright class, today everyone should complete the dissection part of the lab and start the write-up in your lab notebooks, which you will finish for homework. Due on Friday. Let's get to work everyone."

    Diego smiled when he saw her. "Hey, Zoe." He put down the dissection pan and the tools. "I got you're a pair of these." He waved a set of latex gloves at her.

    "Thanks." Zoe felt herself smile, not something she did often. Well, at least not without faking it.

    "It's cool that you are helping Riley out with cheerleading practice. She thinks can handle everything, even though she's still on crutches. I was worried about her, because I have church tonight." Church?

    "It is not a problem. I'm curious anyway about this...cheerleading."

    Diego chuckled. "Yeah, yeah. Is it really a sport? I'm sure that Lin will expect a full report tomorrow."

    "So, you go to church on Wednesdays?" Maybe this was why he had such a calm, angelic-like demeanor.

    "Choir practice. We have a performance in a few weeks for All Saints Day."

El Dia de los Muertos. The Mexicans celebrated this tradition. She remembered because that was when that drug dealer, Escobar, first unleashed his blood demon powers. Ren got to him first with so much free time that he left a very nicely written note for her on that stationary paper.

"So you sing?" Zoe found herself asking. He did have a very soothing voice. She wondered what he sounded like while singing.

He laughed. "Well, I try to sing. That good thing about a choir is that you get to blend in just in case you make a mistake and all."

Diego handed her to lab packet and opened his notebook. Zoe pulled out her notebook from her backpack. Because she didn't have a lab journal, she wrote her answers on notebook paper. He flipped through the pages.  "So, I think we are basically done with the dissection. We went so fast yesterday that all we have left to do is the homework. Thanks to you, of course."

Zoe glanced at the dissembled pig. "I just know a lot about anatomy." In fact, she specialized in human anatomy—where to strike to kill instantly, which arteries were the most essential, how much pressure it took to break someone's neck...  Her mission normally didn't involve so much social interaction with people, especially not with teenagers. To her, humans had always been objects to work around in order to achieve her objectives. Things to inspect and disregard when they no longer served a purpose.