Chapter 61

Zoe took Crispin to get fitted for a tuxedo at the rental place Diego recommended. The attendant took his measurements and brought out a couple of coats for Crispin to try. Both were too big. The third coat fit much better. "Had to go into the children's section to get this." At five-foot, four inches, Crispin could pass for a young teenager. Fortunately, he and Erica were the same height, because according to Riley no high school girl could ever date a shorter boy.

Crispin admired himself in the mirror. "Perfect." Erica had chosen a light blue dress. Crispin's tuxedo was set to match.

The attendant wrote down the measurements and handed Zoe a receipt. "Make sure to pick up your little brother's tuxedo on Saturday by noon."

Zoe smirked. "I will. Thank you." She handed over two hundred dollar bills from her stash of birthday money.

The moment they stepped outside, Crispin folded his arms. "Little brother?" Zoe shrugged.

"Do I have to remind you that I'm older than you by almost a hundred years."

Zoe rolled her eyes. And he still acts like a human boy.

"So, cousin, when am I going to see this mysterious Maria de los Santos."

After they left the Basilica the evening before, Zoe promised him that they would drop in on the medicine woman. Muriel discovered that Maria had a reputation as a spiritual healer and often saw clients at her house during the day. That woman knows things.

"We can go now. Diego is at choir." His director was holding extra practices for their All Saint's Day concert. "Riley should be with him too."

"If what you said is true, she probably knows we are coming already."

Zoe remembered her encounter with Maria the week before, the strange energy that emanated from her—something earthy and natural. "Let's find out," she finally replied. "Keep up if you can." Zoe sprinted off.

"Hey, wait up."

She sped through the downtown streets, across an industrial complex, and into Forest Park. They crossed Kingshighway and weaved into a cluster of neighborhoods streets.

Zoe stopped and held Crispin back just before they turned into the cul-de-sac. Celestial energy pulsed in the air around them. Maria spoke sternly to someone. "Heed my warning, hunter. Three days." She paused. "Your friend has arrived. Now, leave."

Friend? Zoe drew her dagger and rushed into the street, but Ren wasn't anywhere to be seen. Instead, Mr. Osaka bowed to Maria and said, "Doumo arigatou."

"That's the custodian," Crispin said.

Mr. Osaka turned and acknowledged Zoe and Crispin with another bow.

Crispin bowed back with a silly grin on his face.

Hunter? Isn't that what Maria called Ren when they first met? Zoe stared at the man, listening to calm beating of his heart. He might be masking. If so, he was very skilled.

A custodian would have access to the school. Keys to the building and all the lockers. Free reign to move among the humans undetected. It makes sense.

Osaka rose, and their eyes met. Familiar eyes.

She froze, uncertain of what to do.

Crispin followed the man's gaze back to Zoe. "Uh, you know each other?"

She remembered how clean the floors were and how he worked with a sense of peaceful meditation and grace. The same way he fought with a sword, elegant and flowing.

Zoe bowed slightly to the man, who returned the gesture and walked away. "He's a contact," Zoe said.

The old woman waved her cane at them from the front porch. "Don't waste my time. Come, come."

Crispin noticed the celestial energy that covered the entire house in a dim electric haze. "Whoa," he said.

Although not as thick as the barriers she could generate, Zoe had never seen a celestial shield that large before. How is this possible?

Maria cackled. "The power of God isn't just for angels." She spoke as if she heard Zoe's thoughts. "Remember this, watcher. The light of God destroys the endless abyss."

The cryptic phrase puzzled her.

Crispin jumped on the sidewalk.

"Stop." Maria pointed her cane at him. "You are not invited yet."

"What?" Crispin frowned like a child being denied candy.

"You heard me. Only this one who calls herself Zoe may enter this house."

Crispin placed his hands on his hips and straightened his small frame. "I am watcher. A warrior angel. You do not command me."

Maria raised her eyebrow. "You, so full of confidence. Yet a human will save you soon."

"What? A human?"

Maria dismissed Crispin with a wave of her hand and addressed Zoe. "Tell your superiors—the vain one and the stubborn one—that the scion you seek will appear on Saturday night. They must protect the innocent against the demon horde."

Vain for Ophiel. Stubborn for Zacharias. Zoe wanted to laugh at her descriptions, but just nodded instead.

Crispin stepped in front of Zoe. "What are you talking about? How could you possibly know anything?"

"Don't question me, you fallen angel."

"I'm not fallen," he whined.

"Accept what I tell you or do not. Now, leave. Much work to be done." She directed them away with her cane.

"I'm an angel watcher. I'm not fallen. I've never—"

"Thank you," Zoe answered. "Come on let's go."

"But, she's wrong."

"Let's go." Zoe grabbed him by the arm.

Maria disappeared into the house.

Crispin broke free of Zoe's grip. "Fine."

"You're the one who wanted to see her. Now you have. Let's get back."

Crispin stomped down the street. "I'm not fallen," he mumbled. Zoe let him have his space. She recalled how the old woman also got her flustered after their first meeting.