Chapter 77

Zoe killed three demons that night, and still Ophiel blamed her for everything. "I told you it was a trap. We almost lost Muriel. See what happens, Zoe? See what you caused?"

"It wasn't her fault," Muriel said. "We weren't exactly discrete when we all converged at the school. Turiel knew we were there."

Zacharias added, "This wasn't Araqiel's doing."

Leo moved to the center of the living room. "I agree with both of you, Zacharias, and Ophiel. This was Turiel's elite guard. We all need to be more cautious." He faced Zoe. "We will see about you, however." His jaw clenched. "We lost two watchers, Ivo and Cera. In three days, they will return to us from the Heavenly Spaces. I expect they will come with communication about how to proceed."

"Fine," Zoe replied. "Mission's over for three days."

Ophiel jumped from her seat on the sofa. "The mission is over for you, Zoe."

"Great," she replied, picked up her katana, and marched to her room.

"Where are you going?" Ophiel demanded.

"What does it matter?" She closed the door and settled at the frame of her open window.

She heard Muriel say, "Leave her be."

Zoe couldn't take it any more. She spread her wings and launched into the sky.

They kissed, letting their lips linger

They kissed, letting their lips linger. "We don't have to go all the way," Riley reassured him. "I just want to experience more, you know. With someone I love. Someone I trust. After all the craziness at the dance, I just want alone time with you."

"Me too."

Neither of their cars had been vandalized. Crispin looked a little banged up, but he was in good spirits, even interviewing for the local television crew. Everyone left home early, which worked out fine for Riley. At least, she could be with Diego.

Riley pulled off his undershirt, fumbled with his belt and undid the button of his trousers, which slid to the floor. This was as far as they had ever gotten—both in their underwear.

"I love you," he said.

Riley's heart stopped. Warmth tingled along her spine. She caressed his face in her hands. "I love you too."

Diego meant the world to her. She never felt this way about anyone else. He was the calm to her storm, the steady to her erratic, and the certain to her uncertainty. She wrapped her arms around his neck and guided him to her queen-sized bed.

He let his body rest over her—skin touching skin. With his fingers, he stroked her hair. He planted a kiss on her forehead. Riley giggled. Diego kissed her again on the nose. "You're silly," she whispered.

Diego kissed her on the lips. Riley pulled him closer, placing her hands along the muscles of his back.

Diego kissed her on the chin and along her neck. Riley tilted her head back and moaned.