Chapter 76

"Just wave your arms like this." Mason gesticulated in odd swim-like motions. "Move to the beat."

"That's so dorky," Lin commented. "Dance like this, Zoe." She swayed her hips and brought her arms above her head, twisting them over each other.

"No, no, no," Riley interjected. She hobbled closer on her single crush. "Just close your eyes and feel the music going through you. The let your body respond. Trust me, you can't go wrong." Riley's eyes fell on Mason. "Well, in most cases, you can't go wrong."

"Hey," Mason protested.

Dominic slapped him on the shoulder. "Ouch! You got so busted."

Zoe couldn't understand why humans even danced at all. She'd been in plenty of dance clubs, but never tried to mimic the strange custom. Mostly, she focused on killing some scion with as much efficiency as possible. That life seemed so far away now, and she honestly missed its simplicity.

"Just do it!" Riley commanded.

"Okay." Zoe closed her eyes and tried to feel the music. She stepped to the beat and bobbed from side-to-side.

"That's it. Keep moving," Riley encouraged her.

Zoe brought her hands up and let them gyrate.

"You're dancing. Feel it. Feel it."

The music pulsated in certain patterns, which Zoe mirrored in her body's response. She focused on the sounds, clearly everything else from her mind. Soon, her body reacted on its own.

When the song ended, she opened her eyes. All her friends clapped. "See, you did it," Riley said.

"That was fun," Zoe admitted, noting the smile spread across her face.

A new song played, and many people left the dance floor. Mason cleared his throat. "Uh, this is a slow dance." He extended his hand to her. "May I?"

Zoe's raised her eyebrow.

"I promise, I'll be good." He smiled sheepishly. "You can trust me."

Zoe resigned herself to the dance. As instructed by Erica, she placed her arms around his shoulders.

Mason hesitated. "If you feel uncomfortable, we don't have dance. It's okay." He waited for her response.

"It's fine," she said, grateful for the option to decline.

Mason nodded and carefully placed his hands around her waist. She flinched, tightening her body. "You sure?"

Zoe exhaled and let her body relax.

He touched her, softly. "I don't imagine angel assassins get this close to others."

"No," she confirmed. She'd never been this close to any other physical form before.

"Just sway with the music," he said.

Zoe let Mason guide her and closed her eyes, like Riley told her. The melody floated around her, it's lyrics about love, and the voice gentle like a breeze.

"Thank you," Mason said when the dance ended.

Zoe opened her eyes. In the dark corner of the dance floor, Erica clung to Crispin, her lips glued to his. Mason hadn't tried to kiss her or attached himself physically to her in the same way Erica attacked Crispin. "You're welcome."

"Oh, no," Mason said. "They're back." He gestured to refreshment table, where Hab and Aamon waited by the wall.

"I will enjoy killing them," Zoe said.