Chapter 70

"Welcome to tonight's game between the Central West High School Falcons and the Lambert—" The speaker in the stadium went dead, causing some in the audience to glance up at the media box that overlooked the field.

Ren, still dressed as Mr. Osaka, watched it unfold through the glass windows. "It's not working," the announcer said and fumbled with the microphone. "Call for some help," he told the scorekeeper, who shrugged.

Ren grinned, bounded up to the door and knocked.

"What is it?" the announcer barked and swung the door opened.

Ren bowed and held up a series of random wires. "I fix."

"What?" Then the announcer recognized Ren's custodial uniform. "Oh, yes, yes. Please." He stepped aside, allowing Ren to enter.

Ren pointed to metal staircase which led to a hatch in the room. "I go up."

"Oh, okay," the announcer said and motioned for scorekeeper to get out of the way.

Ren climbed the ladder and waited a few minutes, before repairing the connection he rigged to fail. "Loose wire," he called from through the open hatch. "Try now."

The announcer nodded and held up the microphone. "Testing...one...two...three." He sighed in relief.

Ren nodded. "I stay here in case."

"Thanks. We really appreciate it."

Ren smiled and closed the hatch. Humans are so easy to fool.

The announcer's voiced boomed in the stadium. "Sorry about that. Technical difficulties, but it is all taken care of now. Tonight's game..."

From this vantage point, Ren took in the scene below. On the field, the Falcon football team broke through a paper wall held by some of the cheerleaders as the band played the school fight song. Crispin cringed, hands over his ears in discomfort about the noise. Ren had mastered the art of selective hearing, something that came with centuries of experience living among humans.

Mason seized Zoe by the hand and dragged her to the rail in front of the cheerleaders. Both Riley, who leaned on one crutch, and Erica waved at them. Zoe smiled, but Ren saw the grimace behind the gesture, which turned into a scowl the moment Mason pulled her along toward the opposite end of the field. Ren chuckled. The greatest angel watcher on earth being led along by a human boy.

"Look," Mason said. "Here's the goal post, and there's the scoreboard." He pointed. "The object of the game is to carry the football across that line there."

Zoe gazed upward and away. Guess she's bored with football already. Then, she stiffened.

Ren also felt the demonic energy pulsate in the air and located the three demons on the top row to his right. Two of them sat, arms crossed and shoulders hunched. The third, Zarin, drew a dagger from his trench coat and stroked its blade. With each he caress, he sent forth a trickle of flames, too insignificant for the humans to notice.

"You shouldn't do that," Tesmin warned.

"Why not? The watchers already know we're here."

Kaji frowned. "Don't tempt them. I don't like this. We've never interfered with watchers before, and they never interfered with us."

Zarin dismissed the comment with a wave of his hand. "You've heard what Araqiel said. Things are different now." He ignited the blade again, a small flame like a lighter flickered in the wind. "Only a matter of time before I kill the boy."

"Quiet," Tesmin said. "The watcher can hear you." He gestured to Zoe.

"So? Let her." Zarin locked eyes with Zoe.