Chapter 50

Riley got the text from Zoe just in time to prepare the two extra shirts she bought just in case someone made a huge mistake with their tie-dye experiment. "Can you believe it? Zoe's bringing Crispin with her."

Diego had just placed a plastic table cloth over the center island of Riley's kitchen. "You don't think the two of them have something going on, do you?"

Riley handed Diego a set of plastic bottles, each filled with bright-colored dye. "I don't think so. Did you see the way she acted during lunch today?"

"Yeah. I guess, she wasn't too thrilled."

Riley offered him another set of dyes. "They might have history." She knew that Diego was worried about Mason. He didn't want to see Mason get hurt. He's always being so noble. "Don't worry. I have a plan."

Diego arranged the dyes by color. "You always have a plan."

She beamed. "Too bad Erica couldn't make it tonight, but we're going to make her a shirt, and I'll have Crispin deliver it."

"You trying to set them up?" Diego grinned.

"It's not that hard. Did you see Erica drooling over him?"

"I saw you drool over him," Diego replied.

She gasped in mock shock. "Me? Why would I do such a thing?" She half-hopped, half-limped over to him and wrapped her arms around his neck. "You know I only have eyes for you, my lovey-dovey."

The corners of Diego's lips curled. "Lovey-dovey?"

"Shut up and kiss me," she commanded.

He kissed her softly at first, then more intently. She loved the feel of her body grinding against his, of his hand at the small of her back, of his tongue in her mouth.

She hiked up his shirt and stroked along the ridges of his torso. He flinched at first, ticklish, but they kept their lips locked together.

He always felt so warm. Riley just wanted to cuddle up with him right now, drag him to her bed. "You know," she whispered, breaking free of his lips. "My parents will be out late on Saturday night."

His eyebrow raised. "They will be?"

"Let's... You know, try again." She let her hand trailed down his chest and stomach to just under the front of his jeans. She twisted the button open and curled her finger at the waistband of his boxers. He caught his breath.

"I just want us to get closer." She wiggled her finger so he would know exactly what she wanted.

She had never gone the distance with a boy before, but Diego was different. She loved him, and he loved her. He respected her and never tried to force himself on her. Actually, it was quite the opposite. She had to push for more. Maybe it's the Catholic thing?

She whispered his in ear, "We don't have to go all the way." At the same time, she lowered her fingers further down. He closed his eyes and shuddered.

Then the doorbell rang. "Shoot," she said. "No fair."

Lin called out. "I can see you through the window! What are you two doing in there?"

Riley pouted, then turned around. "Want me to get the door?"

Diego adjusted his jeans a moment. He kissed her on the neck from behind. "I think I can get it." 

"Open up!" Lin yelled.

When Diego opened the door, Dominic jumped into the house first. "Hi-five, man. Mak'in out in da kitchen!"

"Quit it, Dominic," Riley warned.

"Hey," Lin protested, "I didn't ask for the peep show."

Mason came to the still open doorway. "Did someone mention a peep show?"

"Bunch of perverts, all of you!" bellowed Riley. "Anyway, everyone get in here. We are still waiting on Zoe and Crispin."

Mason frowned. "Crispin's coming?"

Lin squealed, "Krispie treats!"

Dominic tilted his hips and fanned himself with the palm of his hand in an expression of a love-struck school girl. "Yummy! Krispie treats. Oh, that boy's so adorable."

"Oh my god," Riley said, "That sort of sounds like Erica."

They laughed. Even Mason chuckled.

"Zoe had to bring him. She said her parents made her in the text message."

"That's weird," Lin said. "Must be family friends or something. That explains how they know each other."

Mason's face was a blank stare. Riley needed to reassure him. "Yeah, that's probably why she can't stand him." She waited to see if Mason registered what she was hinting. Sometimes that boy can be so clueless.

"She can't?" Mason finally asked. "Uh, I mean, oh, that makes sense." Instantly, the tension released in his shoulders.

Riley really didn't know how Zoe felt about Crispin, but she wasn't going to admit that to Mason. "All right, everyone in the kitchen. Let's get ready to make some tied-dye shirts."

The group assembled around the island, and Riley explained the process. "Here's the rubber bands. You want to swirl your shirt up like this." She centered a wooden dowel in the middle of a shirt and twisted it. "And put the rubber band around it."

Lin shook her head. "You do this a lot, don't you?"

Riley thought about the bottom drawer of her dresser, which was stuffed with shirts that she had made. Her favorites were the ones with pastel colors and pink dye. She would have bought a pastel dye kit, but she thought that was too complicated for a first timer.

Before Riley could answer the front door swung open, and Zoe's yelled. "You're such an idiot!" She slammed the door behind her.

Everyone froze at the outburst. Mason rushed to her. "Are you okay?"

Zoe shook her head. "What? Oh, yes. I'm fine."

Riley shot Diego a look. "See?" she mouthed at him.

Mason draped an arm protectively around Zoe and guided her away from the door to the kitchen.

That's so sweet! Riley had never seen such a soft side to Mason before. Normally, he was either really shy or boy-crazy over some new video game or Star Wars movie or Dungeon and Dragons game. Who plays D&D these days?

Lin opened the door and questioned Crispin. "What's going on?"

Crispin doubled-over in laughter. "Just joking around. Isn't that right, Zoe?"

Zoe growled, her jaws clenched and her body stiff. Even Mason stepped back.

"Okay, children that's enough." Riley needed to get this situation under control. "Mason, show Zoe where her shirt is over there." She pointed to one side of the kitchen. "You, Crispin, I need you to grab two of those shirts over there. You are going to make one for Erica also."

Crispin's paused. "Erica?"

Riley folded her arms about her chest. "Yes, Erica. Now, let's get busy." When Crispin hesitated at the door, Riley said, "Now, Crispin. Time's a wasting!"

He smirked. "Yes, Ophiel."

"Ophiel? Who's that?" Riley asked.

Crispin's smile faded. "Uh..."

Zoe sighed. "She's our...aunt."

Dominic laughed. "Don't tell you two are cousins."

Lin glanced between Zoe and Crispin. "Well, that explains a lot."

Riley beamed. "That's so cool! See, Diego, I told you they seemed related."

Crispin perked up. "Yes, that's right. We're cousins. Isn't that right, Cuz?"

Zoe rolled her eyes.

Riley grinned at this news. Mason had nothing to worry about. Now, time to work on the Crispin + Erica = LOVE plan.