Chapter 22

Ren isn't my friend? That's absurd! How dare she insult me like that! Zoe stormed right into the living room, fuming. Who is this old woman anyway?

            She stopped, feeling a strange sensation. A large crucifix occupied the center of the room and a series of unlit candles had been arranged in a ceremonial pattern around a small altar. She sensed the remnants of celestial energy. How can that be? There on the altar, she picked up a small knife with a decorative handle. A celestial blade! How did she get one of these? Only angels or demons knew how to craft these blades.

            "Oh, hey, Zoe. There you are!" Riley called out from the doorway. "The den is this way."

            Zoe put the knife down and turned around.

            "Diego's grandmother is really, really religious. It's kind of over-the-top, if you ask me."

            "I guess," she said.

            "Come on, let's go. I'm starving." Once again, Riley motioned in which direction with her crutch.

            "Finally!" Dominic complained. "Can we go now?"

            Lin punched him in the arm. "Be nice. We told her seven. Didn't we? It's seven right now."

            Diego smiled and waved. "Hi, Zoe. Right on time."

            "Come on, already," Riley whined. "We can get food at the bowling alley."

            "We take two cars?" Diego asked.

            "Of course not! We can all fit in my car."

            "I get shotgun then! Boyfriend privileges."

            "I get top," Lin declared.

            Shotgun? Top? These teenagers have their own language.

            Dominic laughed and patted Mason on the shoulder. "Looks like you get middle this time, buddy."

            "Middle? Why me?"

            "Because I'm not letting my girlfriend rest her pretty head on anyone's lap but my own."

            Lin kissed his cheek. "You're such a romantic."

            "And besides," Dominic gestured to Zoe. "You don't want her first experience hanging out with us to be squished in the middle of the backseat. Do you?"

            Mason looked at Zoe and blushed. "Fine," he said.

            They marched, single-file down the hallway and out the door. "Have fun, kids," the old woman said from the rocker. "And don't kill anyone tonight." Zoe almost flinched at the woman's words.

            Mason sat in the middle of the backseat between Dominic and Zoe.

"Okay, here I come." Lin climbed over all three of them. When she reached the end, Dominic cradled her face in his hands and kissed her.

            "Hey, get a room!" Riley yelled from the driver's seat.

            Lin pulled away and replied, "Why? We all know you like to watch."

            "Yuck!" Riley flashed her a distorted face and turned on the engine.

            Zoe knew this wasn't a safe way to drive? Shouldn't everyone be wearing a seatbelt?