Chapter 74

Zoe fidgeted with the small, black purse that Muriel insisted she take with her. "Teenage girls carry purses like that to formal dances." Inside, she shoved her school id, her cellular phone—which they gave back to her because Riley kept sending text messages—and a wad of cash. Sitting in the van on the way to Riley's house, she stared at her school id: Zoe Andel. Junior. Central West High School. She couldn't wait to be done with it all. Everything ends today, but nothing will ever be the same again.

Since this morning's meeting, Zoe refused to speak or even look at Ophiel, Leo or Zacharias. Even Muriel earned the silent treatment for most of the day. She didn't waste time thinking about the other watchers, except for Gemma and Crispin. Gemma surprised her when she suggested that Ren might be changing sides. The warrior usually didn't get involved with quarrels. Still, Zoe agreed, and the ire of angels shifted into plotting to capture the greatest demon recruiter on the planet. Zoe couldn't thank Gemma for saving her, not with everyone listening.

Of course, Zoe lied. He'll never give up being a recruiter. He sees himself as a protector of these demon-humans. Sometimes Zoe wondered if Ren was correct. Were the watchers really more like demons? Do all humans deserve a second chance?

Crispin earned her respect today. Throughout her ordeal, he had been by her side. Not saying much, but placing a hand on her shoulder the same way that Mrs. Willow did. For the first time in her life, Zoe understood the significance of touch, how much warmth it communicated. Later, when the angel watchers visited the school to set up surveillance and plan how to capture Ren—something she knew wouldn't happen—Crispin placed his small frame between her and Ophiel, shielding her questions about the school and its layout that had been directed to her. He answered them all. It was Crispin who brought Zoe's sword, her beloved Katana, to the school and hid it along with his own sword above the trophy display case. "Just in case," he said. Zoe nodded.

Now, Crispin was the first to break the heavy silence. "Why do humans wear clothes like this?" He pulled at his bow tie. "They feel so uncomfortable."

"Try wearing a dress and heels," Zoe countered. "Barbarous, these human rituals."

Muriel laughed. "You both look very nice." Her eyes reflected back to the Zoe in the rear view mirror. "High school dances are an important part in the development of youth."

"What are you supposed to do at a formal dance?" Crispin asked.

Muriel shrugged. "Dance, I think."

Dance? This assignment required so many new skills that she's never mastered before: youth vernacular, teenage dating rituals, homework completion that embodies limited human knowledge, understanding human emotions and their corresponding shifts in body temperature and heart rate, bowling, and now dancing.

"How do you dance?" Crispin asked, as if reading Zoe's mind.

Muriel exited the highway and grinned. "Don't worry. You'll figure it out."

That's not really an answer. Zoe didn't bother seeking more information. She'd ask Riley when they got to her house. She recalled her text.

Riley: Come early. We need to do makeup.

Zoe had never been made-up before, but at least she knew of the practice of placing paint and powder on one's face to look younger. Although, her physical form seemed young enough.

Muriel parked in front of Riley's house. "Okay, kids," she said. "Have fun."

Kids?

"Whatever," Crispin said before jumping out onto the sidewalk.